The First Semester Of My Freshman Year At College

How they were some of the best days, and some of the worst days.

25
Glassdoor

My first semester of freshman year at college was a long one. I made friends, lost friends, got lost walking to class, did really well on some exams and not so great on others. Some days flew by and before I knew it, it was 2 am and I was sitting around a room full of new friends without a care in the world. Others, it could be 2 pm and I was having my third of four meltdowns of a day that seemed to last forever.

My first couple weeks were full of long days and longer nights. Classes were "easy," and the weekends consisted of friends and sleeping, only. It was strange living in a suite full of girls who were strangers only a month ago, and the people on my floor who I now consider family barely knew my last name. The "oh crap, i'm in college," feeling hit me in the morning, afternoon, and night.

The middle of the semester was just confusing. I had my first college exams, and I had not the slightest inclination of how to study for them. I got sick for the first time without my parents there and had again, no idea what to do about it. The initial excitement of college was winding down, and all of those people I met the first or second week I didn't see much.

Now the semester is coming to a close, and I finally understand how much time and effort needs to be put into work. I know places to study that will be quiet enough for me to hear myself think, and I can navigate campus without making my walk ten minutes longer than it needs to be.

This semester was full of ups, downs, and surprises. Now I'm home for break, and while it's enjoyable, I'm counting down the days until I can go back. As much as I love being home, there's nothing like eating pizza, complaining about your classes, and laughing with your friends.