Everything You Need To Know About Buying A Fidget Spinner

The bigger picture: these are not toys.

28
YouTube

Fidget spinners and cubes are two items students and teachers, along with everyone else, hate and love. But the marketing of them as a toy has misguided buyers into the real use of these devices. So, if you are being asked to buy one, or considering it, here is a guide to figure out if you should.

1. Do you or anyone asking have trouble paying attention because of something classified as a mental disorder or illness, and or have trouble focusing?

a. Yes. This person deals with ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, or anything related to it.

b. No. It was cheap, and they wanted one because their friend had one at school. (Trend, fad, etc.with)

If you answered (a) then keep going.

If not, and (b) was your answer, then stop. Buying something because it is a trend and not for something that could affect another's life is probably not what you should do.

2. What environment would this be taken to?

a. School, home, or anywhere they require it

b. I'm not sure if it can travel to school, but it will be used at home and other establishments.

c. This will not be allowed.

If you chose (a) or (b) then make a case for the school and if all else fails then help them understand that the powers that be find them a distraction. The best choice here would be to buy them a cube instead of a spinner. It is more discrete and has many options that make no sound to soothe and focus whoever is using it. Or make your own and save money. Creativity is a gift.

If you chose (c), go ahead and move to the bottom. You already said no, right? Just go to the bottom.

These are two simple questions, but much more can be answered here.

Q) What should I do if I am buying one online?

A) Check the ratings and reviews of the seller. This applies to any website out there. I bought mine on Amazon (I have a social anxiety disorder with panic symptoms and weird mood swings), but be wary of internet purchases. Also, there are many prices for them so maybe don't spend over fifteen dollars on a spinner or cube.

Q) Are there noise related areas on a cube?

A) Yes, mine has a switch on one side that makes a small sound. The ball on another side does also, but only if you press down on it. It is best to understand this and explain that pressing down on noisier areas in class might not be appropriate. (My personal favorite is the wheel on one side of my own. It makes no noise and helps slow down my thoughts.) And if they aren't up for the cube or spinner, there are other more discreet models you can make that serve the same purpose (string and different size beads or bolts, etc.). The whole point is movement.

Q) How do I address my child or relatives school on why this is necessary for them?

A) Not every school will listen, and it is good to be aware of this. But make it clear that you are not making excuses for the child and understand the frustration of the devices. If you employ both of these things first and throughout, as well as a promise to help said child know how to use the device in each setting, then you have a better chance of understanding and acceptance of the case.

Have any more questions? Go to these websites for more help. (www.livescience.com, and bostonglobe.com)

As stated in both links, this is not a cure-all device, nor will one work for all. But they do help focus others and serve a day to day purpose.

The bigger picture: these are not toys. They are to maintain focus for those who have trouble doing so or have something which this gives them more control over.

So, next time someone begs, or you think of it, do your research and understand the actual use of these "trendy" devices.