The Chain Broke.

The Chain Broke.

A band with a history and reputation of feuds, heartbreak, and drama.

michele
michele
7

Fleetwood Mac. Whether you like them or not, you can't deny they are one of the most influential bands of the 70's and of all time. But being a band with so much history is tough. The shocking news of Lindsey Buckingham's departure left fans disappointed. Some even boycotted their ongoing 2018-2019 tour as they replaced the guitarist with Mike Campbell and Neil Finn. But in order to understand how complicated this band is, let me give some background information.

Fleetwood Mac was formed in 1967 and had the lineup change constantly. The 1975 lineup gained the most success. It consisted of members John McVie, Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks. The late 70s were a magical time for the fabulous five.

The drama all dates back to 1977. Christine and John were in the midst of a divorce after Christine had an affair with the lighting director of Fleetwood Mac. Stevie and Lindsey's relationship was on the verge of falling apart but had the music and lyrics to talk about their feelings towards one another. Mick had a fling with Stevie after her breakup with Lindsey. They were all crumbling and any band would be set up for failure if this occurred to them. But the blues-rock pop group kept it together and created their greatest hits during the era. Some of these hits would include "Dreams," "Rhiannon," and "The Chain."

The Chain is a personal favorite for many classic rock fans. With its iconic baseline and booming vocals from Nicks, Christine, and Buckingham, the song has such an epic feel to it. But the lyrics are quite ironic:

"You would never break the chain."

After 43 years, the band collectively decided to fire Lindsey Buckingham due to disagreements and arguing. Buckingham wanted more time to plan the tour for next year but the rest of the members wanted to get on the road as soon as possible. As a fan, I was sad over the news and seeing the chain break is heartbreaking. The band is not getting any younger and seeing them ignite conflict kinda sucks. I'm hopeful the chain will link up again.