5 Thoughts You Have When You Are Starting To 'Adult'

Someone actually did tell you life was going to be this way.

6

We're not teenagers anymore. You've made your way into the young adult category. Congratulations -- you responsible, independent citizen, you.

So here's a list to celebrate a few of the lovely aspects of becoming an adult, with some help from our favorite cast of young adults.

1. Paying bills.

Sure, our parents usually help us out. But where are they on the day we have to write our first check correctly, to help us realize our landlords are scamming us, or when we're debating which brand of cereal is better, but also cheaper? The phrase "ballin' on a budget" has never felt more relatable once you check the mail at the beginning of each month. Your dollars have never been so flexible -- until now.

2. Living in apartments and shack houses.

Yes, the roof is cracked and there's quite a draft, but it beats paying for air conditioning, right? The years of trial and error, sharing different apartments and houses with possible strangers, or your best friends. The outdated paint or patterns on the walls, the slight slant in the floor as you walk across the living room, they are just quality characteristics that only make your place that much more endearing. But, hey, at least you've upgraded from the college dorms and finally have your own bedroom door again.

3. Applying for jobs, internships, etc.

You've started checking your LinkedIn page more than Twitter and even had to order your first batch of business cards. Being a lifeguard in high school no longer belongs on your professional resume, and your favorite ironic graphic T-shirt that you love wearing to the bars is now collecting dust next to your sleek blazer.

4. Dating.

"Netflix and chill" may have sufficed in high school and the beginning of college, but now I guess we're expected to actually go out with one another to upscale establishments and actually learn about each other before we drunkenly make out at a bar, or follow each other on Instagram. Well, maybe not that upscale; 55 cent boneless wing night works, too, right?

5. Friendships.

You start to realize which friendships from your childhood and high school are actually maintainable, and which ones are not. And that's okay; we grow up and grow apart. However, this is also the time that you need your friends the most. Sometimes, an incoherent, tear-filled phone call to Mom and Dad 500 miles away won't cut it. The best part -- we're all going through the same crazy stuff at the same time. Even better, we all deal with it differently, so it's like you've got free therapy sessions by your side 24/7.

We start to depend on friends for real adult-like favors, like helping us move furniture to our new apartment to save us $300 to pay movers, help us write a pros/cons list about possibly taking a new job, give us advice on a potential significant other and of course, cook you a meal or two when you're out of ramen noodles and still waiting for that holy paycheck.

Don't get too freaked out, yet. Adulting isn't easy, but at least you're not the only one learning the ropes one screw up at a time! Cheers to being a grown up -- sort of.