The 8 Best Infomercial Products of All Time

"Writing is 90 percent procrastination: reading magazines, eating cereal out of the box, watching infomercials." - Paul Rudnick

1098
NBC News

Infomercials are the backbone of late night television. From B-List celebrities endorsing a random object to random objects making people famous for endorsing them, I love to watch infomercials. Infomercials boomed in the mid 90's with the infamous "get rich quick" schemes. Fortunately, the products have, in my opinion, gotten a lot better since then. My favorite marketing ploy is when the product hires a big name to use and then lead the infomercial. For example, last week I saw 3 straight commercials that included Shaquille O'Neal. Although some may believe Shaq is an A-List celeb, I loved every minute of it. These products are the items that people need, they just don't realize it until they make 3 easy payments of 29.99. And when I say random objects make people famous, think back to the late and great Billy Mays. My middle brother gave me the idea to write this article, but, bless his heart, that's because he is a proud owner of the wonderful SlapChop. As a Marketing major, I read the details of many advertisements. However, the ones that almost always catch my eye are infomercials, no matter what. Here is my list of the 8 best products advertised with infomercials.

8. The Clapper

Ah the Clapper. Why in the great blue Earth did this product not take off? No more wasting energy to pull a metal chain on the lamp in the corner, just simply plug in the cord this machine and clap! I cannot find any downsides to this powerful object. Except for maybe when you're watching the Oscars and clap along with the crowd like I do.

7. Chia Pet

Who wouldn't want a statue made of terracotta to easily grow chia? These little guys are the perfect gifts for anyone, especially grandmothers who adore political plants. So many versions and 'people' to choose from, one cannot go wrong with a ChiaPet.

6. Roomba

I once saw a skit on MTV's "Human Giant" about Roombas taking over the world. If an infomercial product gains enough popularity that people in the entertainment world believe these little sweepers have the power to rule the technology field, then we all better buy one and start respecting this vacuum for what it is.

5. Magic Wallet

Say goodbye to the messy clutter of a regular wallet. The Magic Wallet makes carrying money and personable items very easy with an uncomplicated leather piece. I know so many people who have switched to this plain contraption that works for everyone.

4. Perfect Brownie Pan

The only item on this list that my wonderful parents actually own, and use. I loved this pan splitter as a kid. It allowed me to make brownies, a kid who once burned a plastic bowl with mac and cheese cause he 'forgot' to put water in the bowl. This is a simple pan that makes family time splendid.

3. Little Giant Ladder

I lied, my dad owns one of these. He loves the thing. Every time Reggie does work on the roof, he pulls the Little Giant out. The equipment was great until my middle brother was home for Christmas and broke it. Just as the advertisement says "one ladder that does it all".

2. George Foreman Grill

This may be the most popular infomercial product of all time. The GF Grill is still kicking, might I say very well. The cooking equipment just keeps getting better and more simple. Just plug her in, wait 20 minutes, grill whatever you want. I guarantee this grill will make anyone happy, just look at George's face.

1. The Snuggie

What's better than a blanket? A blanket that has sleeves! The Snuggie is the greatest invention of all time. My absolute favorite product, infomercial or not. There used to only be 3 different colors, now there is too many to count, not including the various logos of famous sports teams.