I'm Staying In My College Town For Thanksgiving Because Of Covid-19 — But I'm Still Thankful

In all things, give thanks.

55404

We all know that because of this global pandemic, events and social gatherings are looking different this year.

Most people pose the question "Is it even safe to gather with your family right now?" and truthfully, the answer is probably no. I've seen the post where people say "oh this could be your grandmother's last holiday." and you're RIGHT! You could be bringing home COVID-19 to your loved ones unknowingly, and this really could be their last holiday. Ouch, that sounds rough, right? If you're feeling called out, then you might want to change your Thanksgiving plans.

Personally, our family is not celebrating Thanksgiving this year. One of my family members has COVID-19 and it wouldn't be safe for us to gather while my family is quarantined. I'm trying my hardest not to be bummed because there are bigger problems. One afternoon during the year of a pandemic is not worth risking the safety of those I hold close though. Instead of being bummed, I've chosen to be thankful.

I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for a supportive friend group that keeps me accountable. I'm thankful for my roommate. I'm thankful for my sweet dog who puts herself to bed before I even get home from the library on a late night. I'm thankful for my discipleship group who love me in my darkest days. I'm thankful for my job and the opportunity I have to serve kiddos daily. I'm thankful that I attend Texas A&M University. I'm thankful that I'm able to earn my Master's Degree while in undergrad as a part of a 4+1 program. I'm so thankful for the many opportunities given to me through my school, job, and loving church family. Most importantly, I'm thankful that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross. When we put our faith and the unfailing grace from Jesus into perspective, there is absolutely no circumstance that we can't find an opportunity to be thankful in.

Philippians 4:11 says "For I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in whatever the circumstances." and instead of the word content, I've chosen to be thankful. We are not called to only be thankful when everything is going right and happy in our lives- no! We are called to be thankful and content WHATEVER the circumstances.

This year I'll be spending Thanksgiving in my college town probably in a booth at Cracker Barrel. And that's okay. I will be with my roommate, dogs, and enjoying the company of the other strangers who will be alone on this holiday too.