'Terminator: Dark Fate' revives a familiar scenario

It's the same movie: robots are trying to kill someone that influences the future somehow. But fans of the "Terminator" movies will enjoy this latest installment.

30
Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in "Terminator: Dark Fate."

Yes, the Terminators are back. And yes, there's a quotable reference to that famous line in the movie.

Down to the bombastic explosions, edge-of-your-seat action and vivid visual effects, it's a true mark of a "Terminator" movie that appeals to fan service.

But another sign of these movies is the unchanging plot: a seemingly invincible robot from the future is sent back in time to kill someone with influence to change the future, and a human (or in this case human-cyborg) is sent to protect the target from the robot.

In "Terminator: Dark Fate," a hardened Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) looking for revenge and a sort-of-human with enhanced strength and agility named Grace (Mackenzie Davis) must protect Dani (Natalia Reyes) from an unstoppable futuristic Terminator that can split from its skeletal form (Gabriel Luna).

Audiences, all hail this female powerhouse cast. The three leading actors have great chemistry together. Match these three with a domesticated Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose character now goes by Carl, and viewers feast their eyes on an empowering group.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Trailer (2019) - Paramount Pictureswww.youtube.com

Luckily in this movie, it's easy to care about the well-being of all the protagonists. And there's a good balance of introducing the new characters and revisiting the old for nostalgic reasons.

Five names, including James Cameron, on story credits, is a bit much. And despite five heads, the script doesn't escape lazy writing. It's revealed that the looming threat from Skynet, the artificial intelligence system from past movies, has changed. But the why or how is never really explored. It's just the way things are.

The rest of the plot also dodges around the topic of time travel and new Terminator models, too. It gives audiences some more lore but not enough to feel invested.

It's not a perfect film, but at least director Tim Miller gives sci-fi and action fans an entertaining experience.

"Terminator: Dark Fate" earns a 5/10. See it in theaters on Friday, November 1, 2019.

Follow Samantha Incorvaia on Twitter at @_SamI520.