10 Things I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving

Take a second this Thanksgiving to really think about what you are thankful for.

14
Earnest Home Co.

1. Learning experiences

We have all been through those awful experiences that seem to be the end of the world. You feel like there’s no way to get out of them, and you feel stuck in a rut. Some have only experienced these a few times, and some experience these challenges every single day. Being given the opportunity to learn from these experiences has made me into the person I am today. Taking that gut wrenching feeling that you experience and turning it around into something you can learn from has to be one of the most amazing things to ever happen to me. Applying the lessons you learn into your future decisions makes everything all seem worth it.

2. Home away from home

Being given the opportunity to go to college is a blessing upon itself, but going to a college that feels just like home makes that blessing so much greater than I could’ve imagined. My university has given me so many opportunities that I can’t even believe. Being able to say, “I’m going back home” instead of, “I’m going back to school” is one of the best feelings in the world that I believe every college student should have the privilege to experience.

3. Friends who have become family

The friends I have made in college, as well as the friends that I have had for multiple years, have taught me and shown me more than I ever thought they could. It takes a special person to be able to deal with me on a daily basis, so I give it to my friends that put up with me as well as they do. Being able to have friends my age that I can go to with anything is so incredible. There are some things that you just can’t talk to your parents about, and that’s what friends are for.

4. Having the ability to obtain knowledge

People in today’s generation tend to neglect being thankful for their ability to obtain knowledge and learn new things. Not everyone has that luxury. It may not be fun all the time, but being able to sit down and absorb knowledge is something I am most thankful for. Taking those teachings and applying them to everyday life is so important, and I believe it gets pushed to the side far too much. Take a second to thank your old teachers and professors, they chose their career path because they want to see you succeed. I know sometimes it can be hard to believe, but believe it.

5. How I was raised

I was raised to be the best I can be. Whether that is learning the easy way or the hard way. Tough love is crucial to a successful upbringing, and I am so thankful that my family did that with me. Don’t get me wrong, I have some of the most kind-hearted family members you could ever meet. But when I start falling off track, I can always count on them to put me right back where I belong. For that, I can’t explain how much I love them.

6. My health

I often neglect remembering how thankful I am to be happy and healthy. We all have our every-so-often sickness that sets us back, but being able to say I wake up every day with the motivation and capabilities to take on my day is so humbling. I have witnessed first hand how being ill can take a toll on how you approach your day. I am so thankful for being able to say that I am in the condition I am.

7. The ability to adapt to new surroundings

Things change. People change. Being able to adapt to it is something that a lot of people simply cannot do. I am happy to say that I can take a challenge, and show it who's boss. Being able to adapt to new things isn't easy, but being able to do it with ease and poise is something that takes practice. Just remember that it can be done if you believe in yourself.

8. My siblings

I would just give my family its own category, but my siblings deserve their own. Siblings are such a blessing. Growing up, we would fight. Growing up, they made me cry. Most of all, growing up, they never left my side. As we matured and got older, my siblings became my best friends. I turn to them before anyone else. I've grown to trust them with anything and everything. No one will be there for you more than your siblings, no matter what.

9. My parents

Again, I would give family its own category, but my parents deserve to be highlighted more than anything. They have been there from the day I was born, and will be here until the day I have to say goodbye to them. The life lessons I have learned from them cannot be topped. They have truly shown me what it takes to be a great parent. Parents like mine are one in a million. I cannot even begin to explain how much they mean to me.

10. Today

You are never guaranteed tomorrow. Take today, and show it who you are. Take today and make something out of it. Every day is a new day, and it's up to you to decide what you're going to do with it. Go on a walk, tell your best friend you love them, do something to make someone smile. Do something to make yourself smile. You'd be surprised as to how much better your day will be.