Ten Characters You Meet Traveling

Ten Characters You Meet Traveling

13

As may be the case with many of you, I have met some interesting individuals in my day, most of which while far from home, traveling. Though each person is innately unique, I can't help but to roughly categorize what type of person someone is. In the few years of experience that I have, my list has grown to ten stereotypical travel characters you'll probably encounter on a trip.

In almost every hostel I have stayed in, I have encountered a writer. Being one myself, I love encountering other writers because it helps me understand why I enjoy the hobby. Traveling exposes people to new situations, leading to experience, which is a writer's best friend. Your typical writer will carry a notebook during the days and tours, jotting down illegible notes. You can find them reviewing notes and writing during dinners and breakfasts, but for the most time are pretty open, and full of great stories.

How romantic is it to travel the world with your soul mate? Apparently very. The traveling couple is my next target for stereotypical travelers. I've heard some pretty heart-warming stories of lovers running off to be together. One example being Chris and Sadie, mormons from Utah that ran away to be together without an oppressing religion. On the other hand, I've seen some bad cases where couples are on the verge of killing each other because of travel stress. I suppose taking a trip with your significant other isn't such a good way of figuring whether or not you get along. Regardless of my relationship advice, an adventure is not complete until you meet a traveling couple.

The new guy is next. Now by new guy, I mean the person who literally has no clue what he or she is doing; in any situation. Now it may seem kind of harsh, but sometimes the new guy can also just seem like a total dumbass. This isn't to say that you should avoid a novice traveler. Part of the fun of travel is that you mess up, and learn, so it is nice to tag along with someone who doesn't have a clue. Hanging out with the new guy is also a great way to develop patience, so always be cool to the new guy.

Everybody knows/can be a know-it-all, and hostels seem to bring out the know it all in everyone. I'm not opposed to a lesson or two from an experienced human, but it can be a pain trying to talk to someone who has "nothing to learn." In my experience, the know-it-all usually is at the butt of a lot of jokes, so try to avoid being that person, even if you are omniscient .

The Australian. Yes, the Australian. They are everywhere, and are usually up to no good. Just kidding about that second part, but the first is not an exaggeration at all. Australians have an awesome traveling mentality that is actually part of the culture. After high school, a lot of Aussies usually take a year off to travel as much as they can. I've met countless of these travels and sincerely think most Australian travelers are pretty open minded and friendly, so be sure to find your Australian and learn about the land down under.

The "first eurotriper" is my way of describing US or non-European students who go to Europe with a group of best friends. By far the rowdiest crew usually, this group is traveling to get smashed and laid. So if it's a wild, possibly forgotten night that you are looking for, head for the loud-asses drinking like fish.

Every trip I've gone on, I've met a "lost" person. Not literally lost, but in a pensive part of life, these lost people have the most interesting stories to listen to. Whether they lost someone loved, or ran away from home, these people usually have the best advice, and spend A LOT of time thinking. It can be sad seeing someone who feels lost, but at the same time it is exciting to watch a person attempt to find themselves mentally or spiritually via getting lost physically. I suggest highly talking to the soul-searcher, you might just say what they have been needing to hear.

The chiller. These people usually have a joint in the back of their ear while one is lit up in the mouth. Sporting baggy, ripped, reggae-themed clothes, these Bob Marley listening folk never start their days before 11, or a joint. These are the go-to gents on any hangover day, since they know how to take it easy. Though their travel itineraries are a bit void, the chillers are an essential part of the feng-zhui in any hostel.

I throw the person asking 50 questions regarding bus schedules at the front desk into the stressed traveler pile. This type will never, EVER, relax when traveling. There is always an itinerary, and if it is not met, the trip is an absolute failure. These people are okay to kick it with if you want to get in some intense sightseeing in, but otherwise seem to spread their stress to their compadres. Stress is healthy on a trip, but part of experiencing a place is being able to breath and relax in order to absorb the places vibes.

The last travel type I have encountered on multiple occasions is the permanent traveler. Anywhere around age 30 to 70, these people are proper nomads who find home to be literally where the heart is. It is awesome to meet these sun-kissed older travelers with bags of stories and experience around the craziest people. They have a world of advice, and hand it out freely, as if it was their job. What drives them to remain on the road is beyond me, but I find these people to be the happiest person in any situation.

There are probably a lot more stereotypes for travelers out there, but I think this list hits a lot of major ones that you'd probably meet in your typical hostel. I think it is important, though, to remember that depending on the location and situation you could be any one of these stereotypes (except of course Australian). Stereotypes are simple depictions of humans, and should be taken as such. It's important to remember to embrace those quirky folk around on a trip, because they will usually help you settle into your traveling niche.