My Pledge To Change My Technology Habits

I promise to be more present.

4
dailymail

In a digital age we are surrounded by technology. This technology is breaking communication. I look around and I see others on their phones at dinner, or during the movie or during other activities rather than interacting. I catch myself doing the same thing.

But what are we really doing on these phones? Are we communicating with our loved ones? Are we staying in contact with other people? What is that saying to the company that is present in the moment? Is that not disrespectful or hurtful?

I know we have heard this time and time and time again, but when is the message going to be heard? Will I understand the words I am typing and respect the own message that I am trying to portray? If I am making dinner plans with someone and we both sit their on our phones, then what was the point of us coming to catch up in person over dinner? Facebook posts will be sitting there and you aren't going to remember sitting on a couch at your grandparent's house "liking" someone's third selfie of the week.

Children are watching and they learn from what they observe. Potentially, we are raising children who are going to be absorbed in technologies, locked down, and zombified. We can use these medias to our advantage by incorporating them into our daily activities. However, there is a silver lining and many of us are overstepping that boundary by miles.

I want heart. I want communication. I want to pledge to change my technology habits.