Why Am I Taking This Class Again?

Why Am I Taking This Class Again?

The (biased) thoughts of a Communications Major during their non-major classes.

145
Why Am I Taking This Class Again?
isha.sadguru.org

As a college student, you are very much aware that you will be taking classes that were similar to the ones you have taken in high school. Some examples of those classes are English, history and mathematics. If you are anything like me, all you want to do is take classes that deal with your major all the time, and mainly forget about your liberal studies (even though they are important and beneficial). All you want to do is sit and learn about communications and gain experience through hands on activities, but you have to take your liberal studies. There is no way of getting around it. With that being said, here are (some slightly biased) things that communications majors think about in their non-major classes by subject. Also as a disclaimer: Communications

Mathematics

One huge thing comes to mind: WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE THIS? I understand that it's good to take a math, but I am a comm major! I don't really need to use the Pythagorean Theorem when I'm taking a portrait or when I am playing music over the airwaves. I am not saying that math is useless, but I will not be needing it much when I am doing media related things. We only have to take math 101, but I would prefer not to take one. That's all I am going to say on mathematics, because that is all that is running through my mind when I am not in focus.

History

If you comm majors are anything like me, then you think history is pretty cool most of the time. Especially when it is not the same history lessons we've taken since first grade. I took European history that focused on King Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth the first, so I was genuinely excited for this class because I was interested in this kind of stuff. My thoughts were more like: I wonder what it would be like to time travel back then, or, what it would be like if we had a ruler like King Henry VIII now. Honestly, I did not stray much because I was interested in this particular aspect of history.

English

This is another subject where the though "why am I here" pops up again. Do not get me wrong, reading and writing is very important, but it is another class where most feel that they do not need it anymore because I did it all throughout middle and high school. Thoughts in this class included: "I've read this novel before," "How do these people not know how to use a semicolon," and "Can I be excused?" I might be biased because I have always taken honors/AP English courses in high school, and being in a class with students of all different levels was interesting to me. At least now I will catch myself if I make a typo on a graphic.

Science

Ah science. Another class in which I wonder why I am sitting there. Not because it's not important, because it has nothing to do with my major. Unless you count the science of color, but I find that to fit more with psychology. I mean without science, I would not have the tools I use now to be on air, or take photographs, or to type this article. So I have to thank science for giving me the tools I need to have a career. It is just one of those things, though, that get's me questioning life in general, so science was not a great class because I continually think of things above my mental capacity. I think of space and time and aliens. I pondered what would happen to us if a meteor hit in the dead center of the United States.

As previous mentioned, these classes are all important, no matter what your major is. I just could not help my mind from wondering in (most of) these classes. A little wondering will not hurt anyone, as long as you keep up with your liberal studies. Then the fun classes come around!