Survival Of The Fittest: Black Friday Edition

Everything you need to know to take on the best day of the year

15

Ahhh. I can smell the Benjamin Franklins from here. Black Friday is the BEST day of the year, and its just around the corner. These sales after a Thanksgiving feast are not to be taken lightly. You go all-in, or you don’t go in at all. It’s a dog-eat-dog event for which only the elite can survive. Take a moment to read these top-secret tips to make your way through the crowds and get the best deals without being, well, trampled.

1.Do your research.

Start looking now for items that you are planning on buying, and scout out which stores will have the best deals. You can earn yourself a free added on gift card to your purchase, or something else cool just by looking ahead of time. You can actually save a lot of money by doing this too, which means you can spend that extra money on even more stuff. And who doesn’t love more stuff?

2.Make a list.

Write down, or even type up an excel spreadsheet of each item you need, the advertised price at all of the local stores, and color code which stores you are planning on getting the items at. That way, if for some reason an item sells out, you know exactly where you need to go next. Keep empty columns for when you actually do make purchases so you can write down where you bought an item and how much you spent, so you have a running tab and don’t max out your credit card.

3.Use cash when possible.

Head to the bank to take out some cash. You make less impulsive buys when using cash over a simple card that you swipe when you don’t feel the chunk of money in your pocket thinning out. Also, the holidays are a very popular time to spend a lot of money, which means that theft is high. It is very easy for credit card swipes to be hacked in the stores, so use cash, but keep it close.

4.Use your phone.

Look for apps to download on your phone that will help you navigate throughout the day, and make sure that you have mastered how to use them before the big day. Blackfriday.com has a downloadable app that updates deals as they are happening. You can plan ahead of time and create a wishlist as well.

5. Don't ruin dinner.

DON’T let Black Friday ruin your Thanksgiving dinner. People are now waiting outside stores that open at 8 p.m. Thanksgiving is a holiday to be spent with family. It is not meant for you to rush out on your family in excuse that you have to get them a really awesome gift for the holidays. Get up early the next day if you really need to snag a deal. It is a fun holiday, but not as fun and important as Thanksgiving.

6. Eat carbs at dinner.

Just like a sports team has a pasta party a night before a big game, you’re going to want to do the same. All those other shopping trips this year were just practice for the big carb-burning day.

7. Dress comfortably.

No need to get dressed to the nines for shopping. Sometimes it is fun to dress up to go shopping, but not on this Friday. You want to have workout clothes on, because this day will for sure be a workout for you.

8. First stop: coffee.

You better be ordering an iced coffee larger than your head to keep the energy up all day. No crashing allowed.

9.Eat breakfast.

Even if you’re so anxious to get to the store that you say you don’t have time, eat a protein bar. You are going to need energy.

10.Park your car far from other cars.

People are vicious and more than not probably won’t care if they ding your car with their door.

11.The big event: entering the stampede.

Carefully wait in line and don’t give too much information to people around you waiting. You never know what creep-o's are out there.

12.Brace yourself.

Once the doors open, brace yourself, seriously. When they show the news and horror stories of people being trampled, it isn’t a joke. Make sure to stand your ground and get to your needed item, grab it, and get out of there.

13.Guard your purchases.

Put your items in your car and try to keep them hidden if possible. Safely drive away and update your spreadsheet and go off to your next destination.

14.Take a break.

After a few hours, stop and take a lunch break and update your funds spent and saved. Take note of what you haven’t gotten yet and use your app to find out where you need to go to get it. Also make sure to periodically check the app for any updates and sales. This may give you a head start over others who don’t have it.

15. Congratulate yourself.

Once your day is finally coming to an end, and your pocket is in pain, give yourself a pat on the back. Congratulations, you have survived Black Friday and have gotten a majority of your holiday shopping done. If you’re feeling really organized, you can go home and put it in piles with names on the piles so you don’t forget what you got for each person.

Now take a deep sigh of relief, until next year! Happy shopping!