You Know, Being 'The Supportive Friend' Often Feels As If You Are Alone

For once, ask me how I am doing.

74

All throughout high school, and now in college, I have always had a solid group of friends.
Over the years I have lost and gained many friends, they have come and gone, that’s just part of growing up.

One thing over the years and through these many friendships have stayed consistent.
I am always the supportive friends. I am always the friend that everyone comes to for advice and help.

Now before I dive into this, I want you all to know that I love the role I play. I love helping others and I love being there for them night and day.

BUT – after years of doing this, it gets tiring.

I am always helping my friends, checking up on them, and making sure they are okay. Whether it is problems with their families, friends, significant others, school, sports, or whatever, I always make sure they are doing okay.

Something that I noticed this past year, was that I rarely get asked how I am doing if I am okay if I have anything going on. I know everyone has their own stuff going on, but hey, I am there for everyone else all the time, and occasionally it would be nice to lean on someone else. For someone to step in and ask about my life.

I feel bad complaining and even writing this, but I feel like I need to let it out. It needs to be said.

I am tired of helping others whenever they call when no one ever asks how I am doing.

Like I said before, don’t get me wrong, I love my friends and I love helping them. I just want someone to care about me for once. I want the roles to be reversed, even if it is for a day.

Keep in mind when someone is there for you, no matter what. Take a little time out of your day to ask them how they are doing, if they are okay and if there is anything that they want to talk about.

Everyone needs someone to lean on from time to time.