summer is for reading and summer reads

If You Aren’t Using Your Summer To Read, What Are You Doing?

You're missing out.

59

Ah, summer. The time for pools, lazy days, and taking a break from school. Or, if you're like me, working as much as possible and trying not to get sunburned.

Oh, and it's a time for books. As many as possible.

Now, full disclosure, I love to read. I read an 800-page book in a day and a half. So I'm always looking for time to squeeze in reading, which worked out well for me as an English major. I also understand reading burnout, again thanks to my English major. All of that being said, I still think summer should be devoted to reading.

I mean, think about it! You have a good amount of free time, even if you are working. And you cannot tell me that every once in a while you are not utterly, completely bored. Binge watching shows can keep your attention for so long. So my solution: books, books, and hey, more books!!

The best part about books? They're easily transportable. Headed to the beach? Slip one in your bag. On a long car ride? You'll be entertained for hours. Stuck in a waiting room? Instant entertainment. Waiting at an airport? Great time killer. Soaking up the sun at the pool? Perfect way to pass the time. You can carry around a whole different world to immerse yourself in whenever you need or want to.

Another great thing about books? They don't use data. You won't have to worry about using too much of your data to keep yourself entertained for a while. Even if you're reading on an electronic device, you can simply download the book to read offline. You won't have to worry about your parents getting mad at you for using too much data while scrolling through your newsfeeds because you're doing your reading offline.

Still, aren't convinced your summer should be devoted to reading? Think of all of the cool places you desperately want to go. London, Paris, Disney World, Canada, the list is endless. Now, obviously, a book cannot physically transport you to any of these places, not yet at least. However, it can transport your imagination to those places. I've been all over the world, and to places that don't actually exist in our world, all thanks to the book express. I know it's not exactly the same as being in those places, but it still is a way to get a taste of what it's like.

While I think all of these reasons are solid examples of why you should read, I can still hear one of my friends complaining about having to pick out a book. So, to keep him from complaining, and to give everyone else some ideas, a few of the ones I've read and absolutely loved recently are "Ready Player One" (you can also watch the movie that goes along with it!) and "The Godfather."

So, now that you have several good reasons and a couple good books to check out, if you aren't using your summer to read, what are you doing??