Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality

Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality

Or maybe this just applies to me...

87
Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality

The idea of summer has a lot more hype than it needs to be. You have high hopes that you and your friends will spend every second of those three months together doing who knows what. In reality, summer never lives up to your expectations.

1. Going out

Going to the bars with friends seems like a great idea, until you realize how much better Netflix is. After being cooped up in your room for the last five hours watching the newest season of "Orange is the New Black", the only going out that you'll be doing is to the kitchen.

Expectation

Reality

2. Summer fling

Having a boy(friend) to hangout with over the summer always makes things more fun. You want to pose for Instagram pictures, go on movie dates, and hit up the pool with your fling (all the cliche relationship things). All of those activities would be great, if only I knew more boys that lived near me. How do girls even find boys? As fun as Tinder sounds, I would rather not end up on a date with a 50 year-old-man.

Expectation

Reality

3. Getting a job .

The thought of getting a job is all there, but actually going to pick up applications is a different story. After being constantly nagged by your parents, you fill out a few applications to get them off your back. Halfway through the summer, and you still have not heard back from a single place, including your best friend's mom's store (I thought she was obligated to give me a job). Now you are stuck relying on the (not so) weekly allowance that your parents give you.

Expectation

Reality

4. Music festivals

Of course where I live, there are no big music festivals that occur, like ever. Every morning when I go check Snapchat, I see 100 new my stories of what people are doing. About 50 of those are 300 second long videos of blurry artists singing their most popular song. Whether it is Bonnaroo, Electric Zoo, or Firefly, there is no doubt that I will be living vicariously through all my friends.

Expectation

Reality

5. Going on road trips to see friends.

Before summer even ends, you plan trips to see all of your friends, no matter the distance. It does not seem that difficult, but when you put it all into perspective, there are more details than you think. Without a job, how are you supposed to have gas money or a plane ticket? P.S. - Don't ask your parents to support you because they won't budge on the idea of you driving across country by yourself. Trust me, I've tried. For the time being, you just have to stick with texting and the occasional phone call.

Expectation

Reality