The Summer Before College

10 Things You Should Do The Summer Before Your Freshman Year of College

By Beth Caudill

19
Kyla Everett

As an incoming freshman this year, I thought it was important to take note of the things I would like to achieve during my last summer at home before college. Entering college is a fun and exciting time. It's easy to get swept up with all the changes, but it's also important to reflect back on where you came from and where you are now.

Spend time with your family: This is an obvious one. Hopefully your family is supportive and shows you that they love you, but I know that family can be complicated. Nonetheless, spending spare time with your parents and siblings is meaningful for both parties involved. For many students, this may be the first time they've been away from their parents for a significant amount of time. By the time we go to college, most of us are fairly independent and could survive on our own if need be, but we still need our parents to help us out every once in a while or give us advice about relationships, money, or simply what to do. So when you see your family, hug them a little tighter, stay a while longer, and remind them how much you love them and appreciate them.

Spend time with your friends: Again, another obvious but very important one. To quote Tony Award Winner, Andre De Shields, "'Surround yourself with people whose eyes light up when they see you". Once college starts, it will probably be difficult to get all of your high school friends together in one place at the same time ever again, so savor it while it lasts. Cultivate your relationships and hang out with people who truly care about you and challenge you to be a better version of yourself. Don't waste time on friendships that are unhealthy or that drain you. Spend quality time with the ones you love and make memories that matter.

Get involved in groups on social media: Most colleges have Facebook groups for each incoming year. These are great platforms for people to introduce themselves and "meet" others who may have interests similar to theirs. One way to find friends is to make a group chat with the students who are in the same major, so you know a few friendly faces before the fall. Or, if you really relate to someone's post about themselves, it's ok to reach out to them through whichever social media platform they give out. In my experience, if you find someone and just know you want to be friends with them, sometimes you just have to go up to them and say, "hi, we should be friends". That's honestly how I made one of my best friends, so don't be afraid of reaching out, 'cause we're all in the same boat.

Do the things you're passionate about: Hopefully, you're going to college for yourself and not because a parent or guardian has pressured you. Either way, college is a time to explore your different interests, so, in preparation for fall, try to hone in on the things that you love to do or have always wanted to learn more about. Don't waste your time and energy on things that don't resonate with you (except maybe your job; jobs are important). No one is stopping you from educating yourself on the things you care about.

Save money: In case y'all live under a rock or are from an alternate universe where student loans run free, college is hella expensive. I know most people have to support themselves financially when it comes to college, so getting a job is important. Try to find a job that correlates with your interests or what you want to pursue in college. This will look good on your resume, plus making money while doing something that you like is great. College is the time when many students have to become more financially savvy and there are plenty of ways to save money and make smart choices about how you spend it.

Be a tourist in your hometown: Come this fall, most of us will have new homes, but nothing can beat the feeling of where you grew up. Go out and explore your town or city and spend time in your favorite places, whether that's a coffee shop or a hidden nook in a park. So I've heard, homesickness is a real thing, so even if you don't think you're going to miss home ( I admit I am one of these people), you'll be glad that you took the time to savor a few more moments there.

Eat lots of good food: I don't know about you, but I LOVE food, enough to think that it should be added as its own category to the 5 love languages. I've heard from previous reviews and current Fordham students that the food there is not great. I mean, I'm not sure where campus food is actually great, but you get my point. Luckily, we have New York City as our playground, but eating out every day is also very expensive, so, while we are still living under our parents' roof, take advantage of any and all home cooked meals because once college starts the only thing I'll be able to afford is Ramen.

Journal/Reflect: Something that I love to do, but don't do enough of, is journal. This one may not be for everyone, but I think it's important to put your thoughts and feelings to paper. As a young adult, I like to use journaling as a way to record personal growth. Journal entries don't have to be long and emotional or poetic. It can be as simple as writing down a single thought or what you are wearing. Youth and high school are fleeting moments, so I always think it's interesting to document the things that are important to me and how I am feeling in my present state in order to look back in retrospect and see those changes.

Invest in Yourself: By this, I mean it's important to take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Set aside time to work out, relax, and be alone. Remember that it's OK to take a break and say no. Like I said earlier, focus on your passions and learn about the things that interest you. Build better habits, because I can guarantee that college is going to kick your ass in one way or another. Whether it's going to bed earlier, or not procrastinating (as I have with this essay haha), or learning how to say no and set boundaries. Invest in the person you are and want to become.

Be Present: Summer can be a blur no matter your age, but especially before heading into college with graduation, graduation parties (so. Many. grad. parties.), summer jobs, and preparing for college. The last summer before college is also crazy busy, so it's necessary for our sanity to remember to simply breathe. It's important to appreciate the little things and learn to stop stressing as much. Don't worry about tomorrow; focus on what you need to accomplish in this moment. Put your phone down and go experience life without distractions.