Suicide: The Bigger Issue

Suicide: The Bigger Issue

It's more popular than you think, and it's important to educate yourself about it.

26
Suicide: The Bigger Issue

Suicide goes hand in hand with mood disorders such as depression and anxiety. It's blasted on the news for people to watch before they go to bed in the evening; however, suicide is not just a story that's "so sad." It's a commonality that more of the population are having to deal with. Sometimes the signs are easy to pick up on, but most of the time the victim will suffer in silence until it's too late.

In 2015 the CDC released statistics showing that suicide was, "The third leading cause of death among persons aged 10-14, the second among persons aged 15-34 years, the fourth among persons aged 35-44 years, the fifth among persons aged 45-54 years, the eighth among person 55-64 years, and the 17th among persons 65 years and older." If you put that into perspective, it's a lot more people than one would think. Suicide is the second leading cause of death among persons 15-34. That's a huge age gap and an even bigger number to deal with is the fact it is the second largest reason that people have died in 2015.

Suicidal thoughts come from a variety of sources. Some of them are medications, depression, genes, stress or a mix of those and more. One of the biggest issues among suicidal people is that they weren't telling anyone how they felt. For those that are trying to help their friends and family, it's almost as difficult because you don't know. There are many symptoms to look out for, and while some are very subtle, others are not. Here are a few:

1. Talking about suicide or making statements along the lines of, "I wish I had never been born."

2. Withdrawing from social interaction and mood swings.

3. Self harming oneself in forms that range from cutting to extreme changes in diet.

4. Partaking in risky behavior such as aggressive driving, doing drugs or taking part in casual sex.

Now, these are only four out of the thousands of symptoms to look for but, as I previously stated, some aren't so easy to look for. The best thing to do when someone you know is suicidal is to get them the help they need. This comes in all forms, ranging from personal comforts to encouraging them to seek professional help. The suicide hotline to call is 1 (800) 273-8255. There are also places on campus that college students can go to including the student wellness centers and psychologists. The first step is to make the call.

To those that are suffering from deep depressive thoughts, I understand. I've been in that place, and I personally know people who have as well. Things will get better. I promise. There's always someone out there who needs you and loves you, no matter what you believe. Please seek help for yourself or let someone know that you need help so they can be there for you. Suicide is a very real and terrifying topic to deal with and I want more people to be aware of it.

Read more at Suicide Prevention Lifeline.