Why You Should Study Abroad

Why You Should Study Abroad

It's a golden opportunity

3
Why You Should Study Abroad

You've heard it from everybody. Family. Friends. Professors. Please excuse me if I'm being too cliche, but you should study abroad and here are some reasons why.

It'll be a way for you to step out of your comfort zone. Whether you are going to England or China or any country in between, you will have many choices. For example, during my study abroad experience in China, we had opportunities to travel in groups over the weekend for short trips, and I was very hesitant about going on these trips. My parents and I discussed this opportunity, and I ultimately decided to go. I went on this trip because, of course, I could go to this destination another time as well. However, I would not be able to go with these people, and the price was right where it was impossible to pass up. Also, in different regions, people have different cultural customs, different food, and various places to explore.

It will help you become more marketable in the job market. Employers are starting to look for these experiences because it not only shows that you were willing to step outside of your comfort zone, but also you have become more culturally knowledgeable. Additionally, this could help you with being more adaptable, while abroad. This would translate into the workplace because if it were to be a fast paced environment, they would want people who could adapt quickly to the workplace changes.

Learning another language. In my study abroad program, there was a range of Chinese language proficiencies from beginner to native level. No matter what level students were at, our program had classes for every level from beginner to native level language proficiency. By learning a language or continuing to learn a language while abroad, it can help with the development of the language because you are using that language in your everyday activities and class as well. In my experience, I had studied the language before studying abroad. When I got back to the United States, my English was terrible, and I could not form simple sentences in English, despite being a native English speaker.

Friends. Going into the program, I did not know people besides the ones who were from my school, since this was an outside program and not through the school. Because of this program, I met people from different parts of the states as well as China. They were some of the nicest people I have ever met. In addition, the three girls that I shared an apartment with were so fun and kind. We would talk about everything from classes to activities to our lives back home. Although we live in different states, we still try to keep in touch the best that we can.

Studying abroad can shape who you are as a person and is something that is a golden opportunity that you should take to explore and step outside of your comfort zone.