UF Student Government Elects Zach Chou As First Independent Rep For Infinity Hall

The University of Florida's newly elected Independent Senator

319

In the world of University of Florida Student Government, Zachariah (Zach) Chou did something big: he ran as an independent and won. Zach, a 19-year-old political science major is currently the only independent in a senate populated 99 others, most of which belong to the Impact Party.

Zach, who has six previous years of experience in Student Government- four of which he held the title of Class President,- was eager to get involved with Student Government at the University of Florida.

Zach now holds the position of representative of Infinity Hall; UF’s newest residence hall, which completed construction in 2015. However, achieving this position required commitment beyond simply telling his friends to vote: Zach stood at the door of Infinity Hall -in a suit- for 48 hours opening doors and speaking to his future constituents when able to muster up the courage. He used his free Student Government prints to create flyers and quarter-sheets to pass out, highlighting his goals for Infinity Hall. The process was one which he states made him “cycle between hopelessness, exhaustion, thirst, hunger and like five minutes of positivity every epoch.”

When asked why he ran as an independent rather than slating with The Impact Party, Zach’s response is simple: “It didn’t feel right for Infinity Hall, which was voting for its own representative for the first time ever, to not have a choice.”

Zach argues that as an independent, he will have more freedom in accurately representing his constituents, rather than adhering to the guidelines of a political party when voting on issues to come. In addition, he feels strongly towards not overpopulating student government with a particular party, and hopes that his presence will serve as “a voice for the minority.”

The Freshman is also Infinity Council Vice President, a member of the Freshman Leadership Program, Frontline Leaders, the Honors Program, Speech and Debate, Model United Nations, and Sparks Magazine. He states that he is most excited to actively represent Infinity Hall in the year to come, and hopes to "set the bar high."

We can't wait to see where Senator Zach takes Infinity Hall and we wish him the best of luck!