To The Girl Struggling With Cultural Identity Right Now, You're Not Alone
Identities

If we become more accepting and understanding of diversity, more people will find it easier to accept themselves.

235

All people search to be part of a group that they can identify with. We do this because we want to feel like we belong somewhere and are valued. Learning to accept and embrace our individual identities will help us to recognize the value and power that we have within ourselves. Growing up in a small town that was not diverse, I had difficulty embracing my Indian culture because it made me stand out from the majority of my peers, and I felt that it was not accepted so I wanted to hide it as much as I could. Because of this, I felt conflicted and was also told by some of my relatives that I should be more Indian. Luckily, meeting people in college and hearing their unique stories about their challenges, experiences, situations, and backgrounds has helped me feel accepted, and know that I am not alone.

Ethnicity, culture, and experiences are different for everyone and if more people share their own, more people will feel empowered to be themselves and feel represented and valued. Diversity is becoming increasingly more valued in society and the more perspectives that are heard, the more we can open our minds to new ideas.

Having more acceptance and overlooking stereotypes will help us understand that everyone has a different personal experience or situation, and see an individual for their personality instead of only their race. The vast amount of injustices, discrimination, and inequality are mostly due to people not being aware or accepting that people of different cultures and experiences do not need to force themselves to blend in. If we become more accepting and understanding of diversity, more people will find it easier to accept themselves.

As Rosa Clemente said, "to assert who I am is the most liberating and revolutionary thing I can ever do." Through sharing our challenges and making connections with each other, it enables us to find personal value and accept differences in each other.