The Struggles Of Being Hispanic But Not Looking The Part

Yes, I can be white but also be Hispanic.

212

I may not be tan and what you would expect a Colombian person to look like, but yes I'm Hispanic. Yes, I speak fluent Spanish and can understand it perfectly.

My entire life I have had people doubt me and accuse me of lying about my heritage just because of my appearance as if it's my fault that I came out of the womb looking more like my white dad than my Hispanic mom. I get it, I don't fit your stereotype of what a Hispanic person should look like so, therefore, I can't possibly be hispanic.. well, I am so deal with it.

I have even had other Colombians look me up and down and judge me for my appearance the minute I open my mouth to say I am also Colombian. Literally, this has been happening to me my entire life and I don't appreciate it. I get it that I don't have the looks or features of a Hispanic female and I may not have a Colombian accent but my DNA reports don't lie.

I'm not saying I hate the way I look or anything because believe me I love leaving people shook when I speak Spanish. Oh and I absolutely LOVE getting to ease drop on conversations some people will have in front of me, assuming I have no idea what they're saying. News flash, a lot of people speak or understand Spanish that don't look like they would.

To this day I have even had other Hispanics, scratch that, even some Colombians hate on me or look at me a different way after I tell them of my heritage. It sucks sometimes but it's the way life is and stereotypes exist.

Would a non-Hispanic person eat grapes and walk around their house with a suitcase on New Year's day? No, any who isn't Hispanic would probably find that to be an extremely weird tradition until they're explained the reasons behind it.

I just get the best of both worlds and I don't apologize for any of it. I am proud of who I am and grateful to be bilingual.