Why We All Need a Storm Every Once in a While

Don't underestimate the cleansing power of storms

145
Pexels.com

Maybe we need a little rain to keep our heads high as we walk through it, live through it and learn to build from it. Maybe the sound of raindrops is exactly what we need to listen to our own voice clearly away from all the noise we're surrounded by on a daily basis. Have the courage to see where it leads us. Maybe we need to feel the rain on our skin so it can wash away our pain, our fears and clean our wounds and our scars. Cleanse our souls.

Maybe we need a little thunder to force us to find a warm home and our safe space, our at least realize where that spot is for us; a place to run to when we're scared or need comfort; a place where you can feel protected, and feel loved.

Maybe we need storms to remind us of what’s missing in our lives or remind us that we have our own storms to take care of. Maybe we don't like storms because they remind us of the void we still need to fill. Or maybe because we’re scared to face them alone. We’re scared we’re not going to find a shoulder to lean on or a home to go to when it’s time to lock ourselves in.

And sometimes storms remind us of the people who started a storm within us and left us alone. The ones who made it rain without giving us an umbrella. The ones who caused a fire in our hearts and never put it out. The ones who threw us alone in the cold without giving us anything to keep us warm.

But if I've learned anything about storms, it's that they bring so much clarity when they're gone. They bring peace and a renewed sense of faith. They bring some calm to the chaos. And maybe thats why we need them in our lives. So we can come out a little more wise, and a little more faithful. So we can get an answer or two by the end. So we can learn how to shelter ourselves from the unexpected twists of life that storms are.

And maybe we all need storms to remind things that we don’t understand or things that we are not prepared for may happen but it’s also part of teaching us how to survive, how to be humble knowing that even on sunny days we can’t control the weather.

Some will look at it and look forward to who they’ll become after the storm is over. Who they’ll become after the rain has washed away their painful past. Who they’ll become after they’ve survived the worst of storms.

Maybe the universe keeps bringing us storms because it’s not done teaching us important lessons about who we are.