It's Time To Like, Follow And Subscribe To The #StopTheSelfieMovement

#TryTurningTheCameraAround
Livia
Livia
40

#StopTheSelfieMovement

S-e-l-f-i-e https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Selfie

Defined on by Urban Dictionary as "a style of photography where:

1) The photographer's own face is included in the photograph, and

2) The camera is held by the photographer when the photo is taken"

Might as well add, "The beginning of the end of intelligent civilization."

When you read the title of this article I bet you immediately thought of a certain person. You know, the one who posts selfie after selfie on every social media platform at least once a week. But you can't quite build up the nerve to unfollow or unfriend them because their posts may give you a good laugh once in awhile.

Maybe I'm only the only millennium female that feels this way, but I personally think the overuse of selfies makes people appear self-centered, conceded, and attention hungry. You can check my social media accounts, you won't find a single selfie that I've taken. Every time I open my Facebook feed I don't want to see a close up of your face- as great as your face could be, or your #nomakeupselfie #allnatural.

It's just not necessary.

I'd take a cute dog post or yummy recipe over your abundance of selfies any day. However, I am a fan or taking the ugliest, funniest snap chat possible and sending it to your friends and hope they don't screenshot it.

Which brings me to my next point, why do people take selfies? I understand if you just left the hair salon and you're pumped about your new do, or for the first time in 4 years your brace face is finally metal free and you want to show off the pearly whites. But why do you feel the need to take so many pictures of yourself? It's not appealing and gives off the vibe that you are all about you.

It's refreshing when I open Instagram and see pictures of life in general. Sunsets, a motivational quote, groups of friends having fun together, family photos, pretty flowers, even dogs. When you're together with your friends or family and there is no one around to take a picture, then its okay to use your front camera and take a group selfie.

Yes, every one of you is special and deserve to be recognized. But if you need attention or fame, selfies are not the answer to your problems. The number of likes on your Instagram selfie should not determine your self-worth. Be confident in who you are, I promise the more likes you get on a picture won't make you feel better in the long run.

For all other instances in life, why don't you try turning the camera around and embrace what is going on in the world around you?