Stop Whining About Legislative Decisions Regarding Abortion

To kill or not to kill, that is the question.

3023

"My body, my choice."

The constant tagline of most women nowadays that is almost as hilarious as the #MeToo movement. Granted, the point of fighting against sexual assault and harassment isn't the funny part. The hashtag, formerly known as the pound sign, makes such a strong and influential movement ironic.

Allow me to translate it for you: "Pound Me Too." Funny, right? Yet most women, especially those that actively preach it, have no idea of the irony when they post something or write on poster board for protests. But this isn't about the "Me Too" movement. This is about the situations occurring on our streets and social media feeds that are the equivalent.

This is about the irony regarding "my body, my choice."

Sure, it's yours. You have the right to get any tattoos you want, what products you consume, etc. But keep in mind that there's nothing, or hopefully nothing, sharing your body while you're doing what you're doing. Did you catch what I said? "Sharing your body."

When you become pregnant, that's exactly what's happening. You're sharing your body with something that you helped create, despite all the risks that you literally chose to lay down with. You're the host of something beautiful, what the female body is literally meant to do, yet the majority of women want to destroy it for their own selfish reasons.

I suppose if you take my word choice of "host" seriously, you might consider your child the equivalent of a parasite, and that's even more of a revolting mindset and reason to get an abortion procedure.

When you choose to have sex, you lay down with the risk of getting pregnant. In this day and age, there's rarely an excuse to "accidentally" get pregnant, both from a male and female perspective.

Unfortunately, no condom nor birth control for either sex- (and yes, men have more than just condoms), is 100% effective with avoiding pregnancy. It's on the boxes, prescriptions, even the warnings that your doctors give you.

But do you choose to listen or let that fact settle in? Probably not. So getting an abortion because your birth control didn't work? That's selfish. You knew or should know, even the tiniest risk, yet you want to place blame on something that you voluntarily chose to partake in. That's on you, honey.

Rape? I agree that's not your fault. That's the fault of the aggressor, the rapist. This, among other exceptions listed below, I do agree with. Not the selfish, elective reasons that the majority of these procedures are used for; which brings me to the legislative topic of the article.

Most of the states that have passed anti-abortion bills have listed exceptions to which you can have an abortion.

These, from what I have seen, are rape, incest, endangerment of the mother's life, proven death of the father, or written consent from the father with the option to challenge paternity if necessary. Though these are referenced from Oklahoma's abortion bill, which ideally effects me, they are also shared among others in sporadic ways.

Before any arguments arise regarding males not being able to get pregnant or to carry the childlike seahorses, allow me to remind you that the child you created is half of his DNA.

A man's (consensual) contribution wouldn't have made the pregnancy a possibility. If pregnancy becomes a factor and you, as a woman, want to abort, the father has a right to fight for what's also his if he so chooses. If he doesn't, that's what the signature is for.

Another argument can involve the foster care system, which admittedly is terrible. But as the parents not wanting to keep the child, there are plenty of adoption agencies that can be visited. You can meet and interview couples, prior to the birth of the child, that is so desperate to have a family, but don't have the ability to make one of their own. Instead of making a selfish, elective decision, you have the ability to grant someone a lifetime of happiness that they possibly wouldn't have otherwise. All of which can be arranged during the pregnancy and would completely avoid the foster care system. Foster care isn't an excuse.

The most recent legislative choice, Alabama's abortion bill, has seemingly raised more protest than any other. Granted, I understand it to a point because of its lack of exceptions for rape and incest, which disgusts me. But that doesn't mean I'm siding with the pro-choicers; just the fact that I don't think anyone who is a rape or incest victim should have to carry something so repulsive.

Many arguments and insults have been directed toward the men that voted upon it, but most people seem in ignore the fact that a woman wrote the bill, and yet another signed it.

But you "my body, my choice" protesters don't want to give that fact attention, do you? Maybe because it damages your arguments of the "misogynistic patriarchy" trying to stake a claim on your bodies? My guess is that we will never know because every debate I have been involved in ended with the pro-choicers choking on their hypocritical double-standards.

Addressing the US Supreme Court decision of Roe V. Wade, the court ruled that if a state law banned abortions, except to save the life of a mother, it would be deemed unconstitutional; that a woman's right to privacy extended to her unborn child. I'll give you that.

Many organizations, such as ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) and Planned Parenthood, are working toward lawsuits that will inhibit the bills ever going into effect, because remember: they haven't yet. However with the bans thus far, they all include the ability to avoid endangerment of the mother's life.

Each state has included their own loopholes right in front of our eyes to ensure that they'll stay standing.

But your rights to privacy, thanks to Roe V. Wade, also include what Justice William O. Douglas called "penumbras", or implied rights, extending to an unborn child.

Now allow me to translate this, an unborn child has as many rights as you do. Most importantly, to survive and not be murdered without consequences.

After all, the court recognizes a pregnant woman's death in a crime as a double homicide because the unborn child has its own rights. So why should abortion, aside from the various exceptions, be treated any differently? Which is why most, if not all, of the anti-abortion states thus far treat an illegal abortion as a felony.

Is this a double standard that pro-choicers are choosing to ignore because of "my body, my choice"? I think yes.

Thank you, Google, for the refreshing course of history that apparently many seem to ignore. Thank you to those who didn't pay attention in history class, nor seem to have the ability to piece these wonderful technicalities together.

Oh, the irony.

As far as I'm aware, eight states, perhaps nine or more depending on the publishing timeline of this article, have actually passed bills that are waiting to go into effect and there's more to come. All I can say is, get ready ladies. You're in for one hell of a ride if you preach "my body, my choice."