Stop Comparing Yourself To Others

Stop Comparing Yourself To Others

Some advice for the college student that thinks it's too late to turn your academic career around.

15
Stop Comparing Yourself To Others
Quote Gram

This semester I realized that I needed to stop comparing how much I studied and how much I went out to others. Sure, there are plenty of people in college who can go out almost every night of the week and still have amazing grades. I, however, am not that type of person and I know I am not the only one.

At first, this was a hard concept for me to swallow. I wanted to be able to go out whenever and have fun with my friends and still be able to get a 4.0 GPA. I realized though that telling my friends I needed to study instead of going out was OK. They do not judge me for it and are actually supportive. Some of the best advice I have gotten while in college is from one of my professors, he said, “Look at the people you are friends with and their grades. If you would not be proud to have the grades they have, then maybe you should stop hanging out with them.” While all of my friends have GPAs I wish I had, this made me realize that they would not care that I need to stay in and study.

To the freshman that is worried it is too late to do anything, it’s not. Stop telling yourself you can do things that, deep down, you know you can't. Stop saying "well if she/he can go out, then so can I." Yes, you are in college to have fun, but being able to show up to an 8 a.m. lecture after going out the night before is not going to help you get a job in the long run if you do not get a good grade in that class.

Here are some things, that helped me. Instead of going back to your dorm or apartment, go to the library and do homework or study. It never hurts to get ahead on your work. Treat your college day as if you were still in high school. Wake up at the same time every day, even if you have later classes. Wake up and go to the gym or do work and then go to class all day and finish around dinner time every day. This way you will have free time at night or only have to focus on that one test you may need to study for. Don't be afraid to not go out. Tell your friends you need to stay in and do work. If they get mad at you, then you should not be friends with them. Meet your professors and ask them for help. They want to get to know you and help you in any way they can.

As Audrey Hepburn ounce said, “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I’m possible!” Take your classes seriously and still have fun. Find a balance that works for you and stick with it. We are all unique and each of us has a unique balance.