Stop Asking Yourself, "What If?"

Stop Asking Yourself, "What If?"

It's a new year and another chance for us to get it right.

42
Stop Asking Yourself, "What If?"
Wishful Thinking

As the end of 2016 is quickly approaching, you might be taking some time to reflect on the year that brought us chokers, Pokémon Go, and the worst election season in history...or, as Kylie Jenner called it, "The year of just realizing stuff." Whether you're reminiscing on better days or cringing at things you wish you hadn't texted at 3 am, we could all learn a little something moving into the new year.

When thinking back, are there things you wish you'd done differently? Could you have chosen a night out with friends over a night in with Netflix? Taken risks, dreamed bigger? Been spontaneous, or kinder to those you love? Asked for help when you needed it? Done more of what makes you happy? Stood up for yourself when you deserved better? Said what was really on your mind at the time that you meant it?

Let 2017 become the year without regrets, the year we stop asking, "What if?" Go ahead and apply for that crazy-intimidating job internship, or sign up for a fitness class you've always been afraid to try alone. Put another stamp into your passport, add some extra miles to your tires. Buy the expensive shoes if they look great on you. Be easy honest with yourself and those around you, and never apologize for making happiness a priority. Be brave enough to embrace change, and forge it for yourself when necessary. Don't wonder what could have been.

Instead of weighing ourselves down with New Year's resolutions and the idea that we need to achieve unrealistic expectations just because the calendars have changed, let's resolve to improve our lives in ways that still stay true to us. A year from now, what will you have to look back on?