10 Stereotypes You Think About College From High-School

It's not what you think

125

It has been almost 2 months into my first year of college. Last year, as a high school senior, I wouldn't have imagined college as it really is. Everyone in high school stresses out over college, how "strict" schools can be, how "horrible" it is living with roommates, and the "disgusting" dining hall, where no one really wants to eat.

Honestly, not everyone may feel the way I do, but these are some reasons I think most of us overreacted about college in high school.

1. Roommates are not that bad.

About 90% of students had their own room at their own home, and enough space for all their things. So coming into college seemed to be hard to transition to since you would be living with more than just yourself. Some people are excited, which is great! You should be open to experiencing living with another girl or boy for a year, someone you know or someone you have never met. But some people dread it, wanting to live alone to have alone time and their space. I live with 2 other girls, and honestly I'm grateful for both of them because it actually gets pretty lonely in our room when I get out of classes at 12.

2. It's pretty laid back.

Some people in high school imagine college to be extremely strict, which is false in some cases. In my case, at the school I attend, it is fairly laid back. Professors are not up your butt about assignments, you have a good week or two to do a lot of things, yes the work load is a lot, and very stressful, but if you manage your time then you can get everything done.

3. Friends

NO, YOU DON'T NEED TO "BREAK UP" WITH YOUR OLD FRIENDS. There is no reason whatsoever for you to drop the old friends from your school that stuck with you through all those years. Unless you really do not want to be friends with them, as long as you stay in touch your friendship is perfectly fine. I still have all my friends from home, and whenever I visit I see them the most I can. The same with relationships as well, you don't need to break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend unless you don't trust them or yourself. I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend back home and we are perfectly fine. There are some people whom drop the relationships they have because they want to be single in college, but if you are happy, what is the point?

4. Food is "gross"

Honestly, the dining hall food is not that bad. Yes its very repetitive and it gets quite annoying, but the food is all in all healthy and made in the kitchen at the school. It tastes good as well, and it doesn't cost money, its just a meal swipe so its much easier then spending 10 dollars on pizza or Chinese food getting delivered to your dorm. Which can become costly, being a broke college student is all.

5. Giant halls as classrooms.

In movies that have college classes in giant hall type rooms, some might recognize as a lecture hall. But 98% of all the classrooms are like the classes you've seen your whole life. It's nothing different honestly unless you are in a certain class that has many people ad requires a large room.

6. If you weren't prepared for class, they kick you out.

In the movie 'Legally Blonde' Elle was kicked out of the class for not being prepared. And perhaps that happens in bigger colleges for the elite and high IQ but in typical state universities they are not really allowed to do that. You are paying to be in that class, if you are not prepared for the class, yes you are at fault but being kicked out doesn't happen.

7. High school isn't left behind.

You would think people realize they are adults and act their age in college. But the sad reality is, a lot of people still act as if they are still in high school. People are two-faced, and mean, they gossip about their "friends" to no ends. I had to go see a play with my friend for one of our classes, and next to us a couple boys the same age as us shouted something inappropriate to make their friends laugh. The next day, another one of my friends had to go and they said the actual high-schoolers whom were there did the same exact thing. It was a professional atmosphere and yet the boys still acted as if they were in high-school.

8. It would be the most fun you have had in ages.

Yes a good percent of kids do party every night and drink more than they can handle, and to them it is fun. College is stressful though, you do want to get good grade as you are paying for you education here, and you chose the school you wanted to attend. If you didn't want to try, then why even attend a university. Yes having fun with your friends is very fun, making new friends is fun, having freedom is fun, the homework is not though, and neither is getting an F in a class after only a couple months. College is fun in general, the work load, though, is not.

9. "Jump into college life"

There are some people that cannot deal with the whole college thing. They can't deal with it, they miss their home, and their friends, and their family. If that is how they feel, you cannot force them to start to like it. There are just some people that don't mix with the whole college atmosphere. That is perfectly okay though, not everyone is fit or comfortable with the college life.

10. You will have no time.

I have had so much time on my hands that I began to play the ukulele. Yes homework does take up a very reasonable portion of your time, but you still have hours to do whatever you want to do. So make the best of it!

These past months have gone by faster than I could of ever thought, and I can tell the end of this year is gonna show up just in the blink of an eye. Yes, it may be some of the most stressful times of our lives, but if we make it fun, it CAN be fun!