Doug Jones Winning Alabama Is A Step In The Right Direction
Politics

The people of America finally put human decency over party affiliations.

266
flickr

December 12th was a historic day for this country. Doug Jones won the Alabama senate race against Roy Moore. This is the first Democratic candidate in the Senate seat for Alabama since Howell Heflin's election in 1979. This defeat comes off of a well-earned battle against Republican Roy Moore, who was favored until allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced mid-November.

The allegations against Roy Moore were numerous, ranging from inappropriate comments to the sexual assault of young women. Moore denied allegations but that didn't stop them from surfacing. When it was all said and done, a total of seven women came out with allegations against the politician. Despite these allegations against Moore, our president Donald Trump continued to support him.

As you may remember, several sexual assault allegations were made against Trump during his campaign, all which were swept under the table. And now Trump is supporting a fellow republication with sexual assault accusations? Hmm. Seems extremely suspicious to me.

Good news is, the people of American finally decided to put their human decency over party affiliations.

Why, you ask, is this win so important for our country?

It is a step in the right direction. It shows that the American people can unite and come together for a common purpose of electing a candidate they believe in. It represents that the American people have put party affiliations beside them and voted for the candidate they truly deemed worthy.

In addition to this, this win means a possible democratic take-over in the Senate. Before this election, Republicans were heavily favored to keep control of the Senate in 2018. Now, with the Republicans only controlling 51 seats, it is conceivable the Democrats could gain control.

A momentous day for our country. Go democracy and F%#* Trump!