What Staying Off Social Media For 24 Hours Taught Me About Being A Pilgrim

Pilgrim life is not the easy life.

22
Tumblr

I did it. I actually did it. I managed to stay off of social media for a whole day. That's 24 hours/1,440 minutes without checking any social media. As I neared the final hour of being without social media, I realized something crucial -- this is what a pilgrim's life was like. Pilgrims didn't have Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Snapchat or any other form or fashion of social media.

Despite the fact that I still had electricity and running water, this is what it was like to live like a pilgrim for a day.

I wasn't able to read Facebook posts about how people went into Target and spoke to the manager about their trans-friendly bathrooms. The emptiness I felt from not being able to read strangers' opinions on the matter was immobilizing.

I couldn't share perfectly filtered photos of every meal I ate. How else was everyone going to know that I spent $20 for a plate of ridiculously small portions of food?

Stalking my ex on Facebook was impossible. I wasn't able to show my friends his new girlfriend and discuss how much prettier I am than her.

My Tinder messages piled up on me. The one day I take a breather from social media would be the day that everyone decided to swipe right on me.

I missed all of my second cousin's daily posts about how President Obama is ruining our country. No daily digest of the Facebook page titled "Conservatives Only."

I didn't know what Kylie Jenner was up to. No social media means no Snapchat, which means no Kylie Jenner Snapchat stories.

My Tumblr inbox filled up. I couldn't respond to mean anonymous comments with a sarcastic remark, therefore letting down my followers.

Checking my Pinterest dream board was a thing of the past. Going 24 hours without outfit inspiration or a motivational quote was awful.

I couldn't watch my favorite YouTubers' daily vlogs. No living vicariously through someone else's life. I actually had to live my own life.

I had no idea what the daily Snapchat filters were. Was my favorite filter (the space-princess one) available? Did I miss the only day it was back?!

I missed a whole Kanye Twitter rant. This is what really made my day without social media painful. Did I miss another presidential bid announcement? A new album drop?

In conclusion, I wouldn't survive as a pilgrim. Or a caveman. Basically, I just can't make it painlessly without social media.