Why should I follow my dreams?
Politics

Stay Focused And Keep Your Eyes On The Prize

Even it means not being with the person you love.

95

I watched a movie on Netflix last week called "An Education." It was about a high school girl named Jenny who falls in love with an older man. He has money and a nice car, which is completely unfamiliar compared to her school filled days. Jenny has goals of getting into Oxford and has spent almost her entire life working towards that. This man seems to take her mind off the prize. With lovely dinner dates, concerts, and trips across Europe, Jenny is easily swayed to adore the fast life.

Jenny later finds out this man has gained his fortune by stealing paintings among other unsavory things. At first, she is uncertain of this lifestyle. However, she ends up coming to the conclusion that life is boring at school, and she doesn't see the purpose of pursuing it anymore.

The man ends up proposing to her, and her family supports this matrimony because they too have fallen for the showy man. Jenny quits school excited to start a life with him. Unfortunately, she finds out the man already has a wife, as well as a child. Her heart is broken. She gave up her dreams to be with a man who cannot actually give her anything.

At this moment she realizes that she will do everything she can to get into Oxford and get back on track. Luckily, the movie ends with her getting into school and being able to pursue her passion for English.

Jenny was lucky; I mean it is a movie after all. Too many girls, or guys, will give up a passion or goal to be with someone they love. I have experienced this myself at both spectrums. When I was 17 I went off to NYU despite the fact that I was leaving my boyfriend of three years behind. I knew that I would never be happy staying around for him. Turns out we break up a week after school starts. If I had stayed in Connecticut, I would have been miserable and hated the decision to hold myself back from my dream school. Thank god I was able to see my happiness was more important than potential love.

Last year when I was with my ex-boyfriend, I came to terms with the idea that I might end up staying in Connecticut for another five years after my graduation. He had applied to a PhD program at UConn, and if he had gotten in it would have been really difficult for me to imagine leaving. I would have never moved out of my home state while he was still going to school here. Since we are no longer together, and he didn't even end up coming to UConn, I have opened my eyes to the possibilities and places I can go after I earn my degree.

Given the fact that I started my senior year of college last week, you can understand how my future plans are at the forefront of my mind. I keep reminding myself that I need to do things for me. After I graduate, the world is my oyster. No matter who I meet or fall in love with, I have to make decisions that will be fulfilling to my life. If I am meant to be with someone, I have faith that it will all work out in the end.

Sometimes you need to be brave enough to put yourself first. At the end of the day, you're the person living your life and people will always come and go from it.