Spoken Word Poetry That You Should Listen To Right Now

The powerful, strong and incredible words of Sarah Kay (and Phil Kaye) can brighten anyone's day.

43
Project Voice

My best friend introduced me to spoken word poetry when I was a sophomore in high school. Since then, we’ve grown apart, but my love for spoken word has only grown stronger. I’ve listened to these poems over and over, and somehow I never get bored of them. Their words are powerful, strong, and memorable. I’m always open to new suggestions, but here are three of my favorite poems by one of my favorite poets: Sarah Kay.

1. Sarah Kay, “If I Should Have A Daughter”

“If I Should Have A Daughter” is hilarious, and I believe that fact is emphasized even more by it's truthfulness. So many of Sarah's words speak to me as I imagine myself as a parent. I want my child to grow up in a world where she is unafraid to be herself. I will constantly tell her how much I love her, and if she's as headstrong as I am, then I know that our life will always be an adventure.

2. Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye, “When Love Arrives”

“When Love Arrives” is a very realistic description of the way we approach love. Most of us (definitely including myself) have dreamed up many perfect people, only to have our reality fall short of those dreams. And then, when we least expect it, love will take us by surprise. It doesn't matter how much we prepare for it, we will never ready for love to begin or end. Our strength helps us carry on, until we're ready to love again. I love love, and so do Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye.

3. Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye, “An Origin Story”

“An Origin Story” is unique yet applicable to many of us. Even if you don't have a best friend with the weird coincidences that Sarah and Phil do, you probably have someone who easily fell into the role of being your other half. People have all different types of personalities, so it's always nice to find one that clicks well with yours.