Finding my home, despite the virtual circumstances

Sorority recruitment was online, but I wouldn't have it any other way

8

When I learned sorority recruitment was all virtual, my excitement quickly lessened. I was upset because I wanted the full experience — to actually meet the girls, go to the houses, and have the opportunity to "run home" on bid day. Looking back, I am still upset it was a completely virtual recruitment, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Virtual recruitment was nice because the days weren't so long, and I didn't have to wear heels all day, which would result in recruitment blisters. Having recruitment virtual was also way less intimidating. Formal recruitment is a lot to take in — everyone puts their best foot forward and having it virtual took away some of this intimidation. The girls were in their own environment, so it didn't feel so scary because they are just like you and me.

Despite the circumstances, every chapter put so much work into making recruitment an incredible and memorable experience. It is a lot of work to make something, that happens in person every year, completely virtual. I saw the time and effort that went into the preparation, and I felt so much love! I am so glad I chose to do formal recruitment and not wait until the spring. I know I would have been overwhelmed if it wasn't virtual, and I am so grateful that I went through with it!

For anyone interested in recruitment, but isn't quite sure, I will tell you firsthand from someone who wasn't very sure about rushing in the first place that it is an incredible opportunity! There are so many amazing girls you meet, and you get to find your home for the next few years. I know it is scary and overwhelming but listen to your gut and make the right decision that feels right to you. I don't know what the world will look like for formal recruitment in fall 2021, but if it is virtual, remember to be yourself and wear accessories that exhibit who you are as a person. Regardless of how recruitment ends up being, you will find your home and you will end up where you're supposed to be.

My best words of advice are to trust the process. Wholeheartedly trust it. You will end up where your supposed to end up and you're not alone in the process. So many people are there for you and are rooting for you. Listen to your heart and you will find your home…I can promise you that.