5 Lies about Greek life

5 Sorority Myths That Need To Stop

No, we're not all identical mean girls who don't go to class.

141
5 Sorority Myths That Need To Stop
Melissa Evans

I am not your average sorority girl. If you watch a movie or buy into stereotypes, you'll imagine a mean girl with no interest in school. That is not what you'll find in my house.

I'm a huge Marvel nerd with a love for non-fiction books and science. My house is full of unique girls with so many different interests. We are not a huge clique of mean girls who are barely passing with underwater basket weaving majors. My sorority sisters are strong independent cool women who are here to get a degree and make friends.

So let's debunk some of the myths you think are true.

1. We're all the same

I joined my sorority because everyone in the house was unique. We have so many different personalities and interests. The president of both College Democrats and College Republicans are in my sorority! We have practically every major and every club represented by my house. I can only speak to my experience, but I know that other girls in other houses feel this way too. You should never look at a group of 150+ people and say they're all the same when you've only met two. It's rare to find ever 30 people who all behave or look the same, especially at a small school. My sorority does not define me.

2. We haze the new girls

When I was a pledge, I was treated so kindly! My sisters welcomed me home and never once physically or emotionally abused me. I didn't have to memorize the Greek alphabet or clean bathrooms. I was never even pressured to drink alcohol or go out to parties. From day one the older girls in my sorority have been nothing but mentors and friends.

Don't get me wrong, there are houses that have done horrible things to their new members, but that is not the case at several schools or chapters.

3. We buy our friends

Being in Greek life costs money because we do things. We hold philanthropy events, we have formals, we go on sisterhood outings. We don't spend money to call a bunch of strangers our friends. I like to say that joining a sorority doesn't give you automatic friends, it just breaks down that first awkward barrier between two strangers. I am not best friends with every girl in my house, there aren't enough hours in the day to get to bond with them all! But I feel comfortable sitting next to any of them at lunch or waving at them in the hallway.

4. We are dumb

First of all, there's a GPA requirement to join a sorority and one to stay in Greek life. Many of us are in the honors college or are pre-med or work insanely hard. When I go downstairs for water at 1 a.m., I'll see girls up studying hard. Being in Greek life isn't only for girls just looking for an MRS degree.

5. We don't eat

My sisters and I freaking love food. Saturday morning brunch is a religious event and every time the chefs put out any form of bread we talk about it all day. My sorority sisters don't fat shame or tease you for getting a cookie after lunch. We eat food all the time.

Don't judge a book by its cover, and don't judge something real by what you see in movies. I love my house and the girls in it, we have a lot of fun and support one another.