A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler In 2010

10 songs that will make you feel old because it just doesn't feel like it's already been a full decade since they came out

492
assets.rbl.ms

I have been quarantining since mid-March (wow, I can't believe it's already been four months now), and I keep finding new ways to stay entertained to prevent myself from going insane from the four months of self-isolation.

As I was digging through the stuff that I keep in a storage container underneath my bed, I came across my old Nintendo DS that dated back to my elementary and middle school days. I remember going up to a small group of boys on my elementary school bus just because they all owned a Nintendo DS, decided to befriend them, and played Mario Cart with them every day from that day forward.

I also remembered getting an SD card and downloading music onto it once I got into middle school and continued to bring my DS to school every day, still using it on the bus. But this time, instead of playing with my elementary school bus friends, I would stare out the window with earbuds in, and I would pretend like I was in some kind of fantasy-like world where it was just me and the music, forgetting about school and life for a little while without having to worry about any of it. Here are some of the songs that put me in my feels every day on the ride back home from school:

1. "Love The Way You Lie" - Eminem ft. Rihanna

I don't know about you, but the part when Eminem says, "Now you get to watch her leave out the window, guess that's why they call it window pane," gets me every time.

2. "Just The Way You Are" - Bruno Mars

Fun fact: My history teacher loved to put on music during class when we'd be working on worksheets. When this song came on one day, this guy in my class started singing along, and he was totally looking at me the entire time. Our teacher found it adorable, but I on the other hand, totally did NOT think it was.

3. "Party In The U.S.A" - Miley Cyrus

Come on, every time this song came on, you stopped whatever you were doing and danced along to the beat of this. I mean, who didn't?

4. "Tik Tok" - Ke$ha

Oh, this song was also one of those 'get-up and dance' songs, as well. Am I right, or am I right?

5. "Girlfriend" - Avril Lavigne

Ah, the classic 'steal your boyfriend' song in 2008, before Ariana Grande released her song "Break Up With Your Boyfriend, I'm Bored" eleven years later. Although this song came out before I got into middle school, I still played it a couple years after it was released because it's such a bop that (honestly) it still gets played to this very day!

6. "Airplanes" - B.o.B

Is it just me, or did you also stare up into the sky hoping to see airplanes as you listened to this song?

7. "Just A Dream" - Nelly

I was ten years old when this song came out, and it sure did put me in my feels and made me feel as if I had just lost a lover.

8. "Forget You" - Cee Lo Green

Despite the title being clean, we all knew what the real word was and sang it as a replacement of "forget" as we threw up some birds with our hands, as well.

9. "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love" - Usher

Wow, another great bop to dance to at any time of the day!

10. "Ridin' Solo" - Jason Derulo

The perfect confidence booster about being single!