Tips for the Solo Traveler

Tips for the Solo Traveler

13
Tips for the Solo Traveler

Traveling by yourself (especially for the first time) can be an extremely scary experience - even more so if you're spending the whole vacation alone in a new place, or even a place you've been before just alone. Having fun and relaxing is of course a priority, but the most important is staying safe. This is more important than ever nowadays so take extreme precaution when traveling alone. Here are some tips to help with your solo travel experience!

Transportation

1. Use reliable transportation to and from the airport if you're flying.

Ideally, use transportation provided by the hotel if that is an option. It is reliable, usually cheaper and you more than likely will not be alone. Most hotel shuttles usually have between 2-10 people on board. This way you're not alone in an Uber, Lyft or Taxi with a random person by yourself (not to be sexist, but more of these drivers are men and if you're a woman take EXTREME precaution with this sort of transportation if you take that route).

2. If you're flying, you should be in good hands at the airport. It is a public place and always full of people. However, just be very aware of your surroundings. If you ever feel like something is of just find an airport employee or airport security (they're everywhere). Just because it is a public place doesn't mean there aren't psychos lingering around. Make sure you know at all times who is around you and what is going on.

3. Traveling around your location could be done by public transportation or on foot. If going out alone in the dark try to not take the foot route! However, any sort of transportation in the dark is going to be scary and dangerous regardless, but we all know it is going to happen. Especially if you're traveling in the season where it is dark by 5:00 pm. Carry some sort of weapon (pepper spray, a knife you can tuck away, or conceal carry if you're licensed) and make sure you are VERY aware of what is happening around you. Don't take alleyways, don't walk down super dark roads and do NOT walk alone intoxicated (high, drunk, whatever your choice is). With public transportation again make sure you know who is sitting around you and what they're behaviors are. If you feel like something is off, tell the driver or call the police.

4. Pretend like you're on the phone if you're alone (or actually talk to someone if you have someone who is awake/available at that time). Strangers are less likely to approach someone who is on a phone. Or, just make your cellphone visible. People who are trying to attack will more than likely refuse if they see you have a mean of communication readily available to call the police.

Activities

1. If you're in a new area, find a map of the town/city you're in and keep it with you. While everyone has the option of GPS (which does have a walking feature on iPhone), it is not always reliable. Certain areas will lose signal and you never know how long it will take to get that signal back. Paper maps are usually large and kind of a pain to deal with but at least you know you can rely on them. Also, grab extra just in case! Grab one for everyday you're there.

2. If you're out doing something and you start conversations with anyone whether that be employees, other people around you or whoever, never let them know you're alone. Never let them know where you're staying. Never go back to anyone's house. Communicating with others while you're out doing an activity can make it more enjoyable, but leave the conversation and the person there when you leave.

3. Do not bring all your cash out with you at once. Make sure you have a backup plan just in case you lose your wallet or something happens. You never want to run out of money when you're alone in a new city.

4. If you're nervous about keeping money in your hotel room, keep the "do not disturb" sign on the door the whole time. When I was alone in Seattle I did not let them clean my room until I left. Also, keep the TV and the lights on so someone thinks there is someone in the room. You're not paying the electricity bill so who cares.

5. Have someone who knows where you are at all times and what you're doing. Share your location with them just in case.

6. Have a plan - wandering around is nice and fun and you get to see new things, but at the same time you don't want to end up in a bad area unintentionally. Every place has one and it is easy to end up there if you're unaware. Do your research as to where the activities are at that you would like to do.

7. Take a lot of pictures and document your experience. This is not necessary, but it is always fun to look back on your first trip alone.

Traveling alone is something that I recommend everyone do. It is an experience that lets you learn so much about yourself. You'll have so much personal growth within that one little trip no matter how long you're there. It is an experience that teaches you how to step out of your comfort zone and how to be your own person.

If traveling alone is something scary to you, take a trip with someone else and spend one day alone or even a few hours. I found it extremely beneficial for my mental health and just my overall being to spend a few days in a new place by myself.

While it is a scary experience, it is something that is extremely worth it in the long run.