Dear Society, I Just Don't Understand You

There are so many societal rules that really don't need to be there.

209
Jacqulea Anderson

Dear society,

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Why have you decided to be a pushing force behind the negative parts of the world? I don't know if I can fully blame society, but I do question why they never speak out against the fact that the government and church are in a long-term relationship. See, they've been married for a while now, have started a family, and are always adding more.

We've always learned in class that the government and church should be separate. It makes them biased and then laws are created that can pretty much stomp on people's rights. When the topic of gay marriage came up, I knew people who turned their nose up at the fact that the LGBTQ+ community exists. Due to most of the people I know being Christian, they're all spouting "God made Adam and Eve" and that "it's unnatural for men and men or women and women to be together" and I'm in the corner rolling my eyes.

It's not normal for an adult to sound like a little kid when talking about the government. You only feel that way because of a book that was written by humans who proclaimed that it is the word of God.

Society, in the past, deemed glasses to be nerdy. So if you were part of the "I need glasses to see" group, then you were not as attractive or cool as someone who didn't need them. Excuse me for not having perfect vision. Then magically, there were the black, square-framed glasses that everyone fell in love with and now glasses are just glasses. When I was in middle school, everyone wanted those glasses because they looked cool and wanted to be cute for social media. Like no, glasses have been cute. Not just that one pair.

I talk about hair. A lot. But society has brainwashed people into believing that having straight hair is beautiful and if you have curls, they have to be loose and wavy. Society just somehow creates these rules in which people with lighter skin are more attractive than those with darker skin. Then the idea that women are inferior to men and so on and so forth. It's been dragging on for centuries and honestly, it's tiring.

So society, I don't understand your reasoning. Your argument is invalid nor is it solid enough to keep on making a fuss. I need you to calm down and take a nap. A long and well-needed nap. Please and thank you.

Sincerely,

Management