Society's Issue with Celebrity Misconduct

The Problem of Supporting Celebrity Misconduct

The reflections of their mistakes on the society that supported them.

30

Everyone reading this is currently a human being, at least I think...

Anyhow, as human beings, mistakes tend to be a part of life that are met with appropriate punishment. However, those among us, whom possess the proverbial throne of popularity, have their mistakes documented much more intimately. Thus, the question then becomes whether this is a good thing or bad thing.

Clearly, this can have horrible implications as some of those revered among the population are suspected of grave sexual misconduct offenses as seen with Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey, and R. Kelly to name a few. This puts many fans in a position of discomfort or even guilt for simply supporting the celebrity by consuming their entertainment. As a result, celebrity misconduct appears on the front of the news compared to someone else whom are charged with similar offenses. Hence, begging the question of how often power possessed in popularity is actually abused.

As seen in the aforementioned examples, it appears that it happens all too often. Therefore, while these "celebrities" create a negative image for their various fans, it brings attention to the revolving theme of corrupted power. The biggest mistake that society and media seems to make with a "celebrity's" sudden exposure for a host of crimes, often sexual, is that they fail to see the power of the person being accused. As a result, little is done at truly holding Hollywood and other similar groups of famous people accountable for corrupted mistakes. Although they are not politicians, they often hold more pull among the population than elected representatives; yet, society treats their mistakes differently. This helps explain how celebrities now openly contend for the presidency and why one is currently the president.

Thus, unless society starts to view celebrities in the same light as they view their politicians when they make similar mistakes, movements such as #MeToo will fall on the deaf ears of the majority.

The use of fame, by some, to commit these atrocious crimes must be seen as conduct unbecoming of that fame much like losing a reelection or a resignation. It must be that simple.