I Am Recovering From Social Media Comparison

Social media toxicity is real

7
Photo by Kaboompics .com from Pexels

Growing up I have always hated some parts of myself and always had the thought that maybe if I was so-and-so everything would be better. As I grew older and got to high school social media took over my life, and not always in a good way. I would never be fulfilled in what I posted on my Instagram because I always knew that there was someone who I thought looked better than me or did more interesting things than I have done. I would compare my self worth to how many likes I received on my picture I posted, and I am still guilty today of falling into that.

People pick and choose how their life looks through social media, there is always another side to a person.

There is no reason that we should fill our countless hours of screen time with actions that will not benefit us- the main one being comparison. We all know that social media is never truly a depiction of someone's life, so why do we envy those people who look perfect when it is obviously not true?

Sure we all have something we would like to change about ourselves, but instead of focusing on becoming someone's life that is shown through a social media platform why don't you focus on something that would make you the best version of yourself?

I went through years of constantly bashing myself and asking the questions that we see when we see a picture-perfect Instagram feed. Why can't I be as thin as her? My Instagram isn't as put together as hers, am I good enough?

I have found a solution to this madness- unfollow those people that do not make you feel good when you see their pictures.

At first I thought this sounded harsh but unfollowing people who I constantly looked at and found myself wishing I was them helped me feel better about who I am and what I posted. Most of these people included models and those who seem to be the definition of perfection. After I unfollowed them I started to feel free to post what makes me happy and see pictures of the people I know and care about.

Post what makes you happy and appreciate the person you are, there is only one you.