So You're Going To Tufts

So You're Going To Tufts

You've probably heard at least three of these questions.

44
So You're Going To Tufts
Kay Smith

We all remember the day we opened our acceptance letters. Irrespective of feelings we possessed at the time, we eventually checked a box that tied us to the class of *insert year here*. As a result, we went through a transformative period in which elephants were not only friendly giants but fellow Jumbos as well. With the pride in our hearts that can aptly be described to be “as big as Jumbo,” we told every curious friend, family member, and acquaintance where we would be spending the next four years of our lives. The questions that came next were nothing short of, well, interesting.

1. Where's that?

This question is pretty harmless, but if I had a penny for every time someone asked this, I’d have a hundred pennies.*

2. Will you come back with a Boston accent?

Probably not. I'll be pronouncing my R's for the rest of my days.

3. What'd you say? Tuffs?

This results in you overemphasizing the “t” and possibly sounding a little aggressive.

4. Will it be too “tuf” for you? Is it a “tuf” school?

Seriously? It can’t be “tuf-er” to think up better puns.

5. Is that a community college?

Take deep breaths. Count backwards from 1,000 by sevens and think of warm brownies.

Don't worry, I was only asked this once, but I think I ruptured a vein from all the internal screaming.

In a matter of days, we'll be buried in too much Jumbo gear to hear any questions. When we come home, queries like these may persist but this will do nothing to diminish the pride that makes us bleed Tufts blue. With time, our achievements will continue to speak volumes about this amazing institution.

*I could've said $1, but 100 pennies is definitely more inconvenient.