"Saturday Night Live's" Plus Size Parody Ad

SNL has brought up a great issue.

77

If you tuned into SNL last week, you might have seen their parody ad for plus sized women. Here it is:

SNL has brought up a big issue facing plus size women. Plus size women find it hard to find clothes in their size, even though the average clothing size for women is in the plus sized range.

Plus size women go to stores specifically for plus size women because the regular clothing stores only go up to a size 10 or 12.

Thankfully, the specialty plus size clothing stores have gotten better -- but they can be expensive.

Why must plus size women struggle to find something flattering for their figure, only to find the style sucks? And when they do find something they truly feel good in, it costs way too much.

SNL also brings up a great counterargument: Men don't have the same struggle because their sizes are usually available at any given store.

It just shows that plus sized women are discriminated against when it comes to fashion and clothing. The fat stigma in the states is a poison to bigger women.

The issue is so great that even the mainstream media has caught on. I greatly appreciate SNL's efforts to make light out of such a ridiculous issue.

With the average clothing size of a woman in the United States being between a size 12 and 14, clothing stores usually don't follow the average. It would make sense to change sizes to fit the average size of women.

This does not say that smaller sized women should suffer. I challenge all clothing stores to not only feature their normal sizes, but to also include plus sizes.

I also hope to see sizing standards change. Everyone has noticed that sizing has changed over the years, and this should be regulated to help eliminate the struggle of finding the right size when going from store to store.

I believe the clothing industry should focus on women being more body positive, and the best way they can better this is by regulating clothing sizes.

This will make it easier for a woman to identify what size they are before entering the store. This will also aid in online shopping disasters as well -- many women fear online shopping for clothes because they do not know if the item will fit.

Let's challenge our clothing stores to regulate clothing sizes, as well as adding plus sizes to their stores.