Credit: Searcy Online
Pin It

Small Town Versus Big City

From skyscrapers to suburbs to corn fields.

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

People who grew up in the middle of nowhere are quite adamant about the differences between a city and town. We all have our preferences if we have had the opportunity to do so, whether in Small Town USA or a village in Russia. Growing up in both a city and small town, I've had my fair share of differences but at the end of the day they have their differences which are suitable to the individual themselves. Here are a few that I have come to really see the differences between:

1. Accessibility

Coming from a big town or city, you are probably used to a variety of grocery stores, food selections and clothing stores in a relative amount of distance. Now, you may have to drive an hour to the supermarket.

Small Town:

Gruene General Store

City:

HEB Plus

2. Variety

There is a variety of restaurants on every corner from Ethiopian, to farm-to-table but in a small town you have a smaller set of options and homecoming is the way to go. But, let's face it, there is nothing like a mom-and-pop restaurant.

Small Town:

Bever's Kitchen

City:

DC Serious Eats

3. Road Trips

In a city, it could mean a trip to a suburb or two hours to the beach, but in a small town you may run into festivals, horse races, zonkey and just random entertainment.

Small Town:

Nevada County Parade

City:

Arlington

4. Traffic

You may be used to driving an hour or more to the other side of town or somewhere nearby may take you just as long due to traffic. Yet, in a small town it can take you fifteen minutes to cross town (if you're lucky!).

Small Town:

Little Town USA

City:

Art Nation

5. Knowing Your Neighbor

In a big city there are multiple communities within a few miles, but know few people and likely go to different schools compared to a small town where you grew up with the exact same people within a few streets and you go to the same school your whole life.

Small Town:

Forbes

City:

Emaze

6. Communication

Say you forget to call in a prescription. In a small town it's really easy to pick up because they know you. It started out being your neighbor on the back fence now it's through a computer or a cell phone. In a small town it's word of mouth or just good ol' chattin' at the local Dairy Queen.

Small Town:

Oregon Live

City:

CIMBF

7. Infrastructure

It’s not skyscrapers and city noise anymore, but old buildings that make the town quaint and full of charm. You may see more farming and ranching.

Small Town:

Arkansas Online

City:

Houston City Skyline

8. Drive Thrus

In a city there is a drive-thru line for hours, but in a small town you never know what you’ll find.

Small Town:

Horse Drive Thru

City:

Chickfila

Let's face it: either is great and choosing maybe difficult, but it will depend on your outlook on crowds and space.

Sister. Runner. Adventurer. Cook. "You're off to great places, today is the day." - Dr. Seuss

Like Odyssey on Facebook