Six Garry Marshall Movies Sure to Warm Your Heart

Although the legendary director is gone, these films will always serve as a reminder of his magic.

20

On July 19, 2016, Hollywood lost a legend. Garry Marshall, 81, known for directing films such as "Pretty Woman" (1990), "The Princess Diaries" (2001) and "Valentine’s Day" (2010) passed away after suffering from “complications of pneumonia following a stroke,” according to his rep. Although Marshall is no longer with us, his films will always be a reminder of his warmth and talent. Marshall’s films are unmistakable – they pull you in and make you feel like a member of the family, no matter what the situation is. It doesn’t matter if you’re watching a movie about a woman who constantly leaves her fiancés at the altar or a movie about a dorky teenager who finds out she is a princess; you will always be able to relate to the characters in one way or another. In honor of Garry Marshall, let’s take a look back at some of his most heartwarming films.

1. "Pretty Woman" (1990).

This movie isn't your regular fairytale, but its themes are sure to melt your heart. It's about knowing your worth, no matter what anyone thinks. If you don't watch this movie at least once, you would be making a mistake. Big mistake. Huge.

2. "Runaway Bride" (1999).

Yep, this is another movie starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. The film serves as a reminder that when you finally find the right person to spend the rest of your life with, your past mistakes won't define you. You will be loved for being your true and authentic self.

3. "The Princess Diaries" (2001).

This movie speaks to everyone who didn't have the easiest time in high school. Sure, you might not be lucky enough to find out that you're a royal, but the message is clear: no matter how many times people try to put you down, you can have a voice. By choosing the right people to surround yourself with, you can overcome all of the negativity and find confidence in yourself.

4. "Raising Helen" (2004).

You never know how much you can handle until you're thrown headfirst into chaos. This movie shows us that no matter how disastrous things might seem, your family will always be there to help you pick up the pieces.

5. "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" (2004).

This sequel is all about empowerment. The film centers around the message that regardless of what society tells you, you must always follow your heart and never settle.

6. "Valentine's Day" (2010).

This wasn't the last movie Marshall directed, but it was the beginning of his star-studded holiday films, which continued with "New Year's Eve" (2011) and, most recently, "Mother's Day" (2016). Say what you want about this film, but you can't deny it has heart. It's clear from the moment the film starts that all of the actors were passionate about the opportunity to work with the one and only Garry Marshall.

These are just a few of the films Marshall directed, but they are sure to leave you with a smile on your face. Marshall was one of a kind and hopefully younger generations will take a look back at the magic he created.

Anne Hathaway said it best in her tribute to Garry. "He was so, so smart and canny, and yet he lived entirely from his heart," she wrote. "That’s how he made movies too."

Rest in peace, Garry Marshall. You will certainly be missed.