Simple Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

Because... as cheesy as it sounds, the best gift we can recieve is the gratification of helping others.

5

The holiday season is a wonderful time where many of us have the financial means to buy gifts for those we love, even if they seem to have everything. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who are in extreme need of basic necessities (including love and acknowledgment) and those who are currently going through unspeakable tragedies and need help. Giving back doesn't always have to mean leaving the house just as it doesn't always have to entail spending any money. Here are simple ways to give back to those in need this Christmas season.

Use AmazonSmile

The two-day shipping that Amazon Prime provides leads many to shopping Amazon for gifts. When shopping on AmazonSmile, which gives you the same options as Amazon does, a portion of what you pay for your items will go to a charity OF YOUR CHOICE. Thanks, Amazon!

Send a Christmas Card to a Hospitalized Child

Cards for Hospitalized Kids is an organization that distributes general and holiday cards to children in the hospital. Their website provides directions and the address where they must be sent. Get the family involved and create cards together for a fun and inexpensive way to give back.

Buy Gifts That "Give Back" to Social and Environmental Causes

What do you get when you are gift shopping for a person that has everything? Buy a meaningful gift that gives back to those in need such as the beautiful bracelet above handcrafted by woman in Costa Rica. There are so many items, for men, women, and even pets, that use a portion of the proceeds to help others. Some companies include Head Bands of Hope (For every headband purchased, one is given to a child cancer patient), Best Friends (Animal Rescue), Hand in Hand Sustainable Suds (for ever soap bar purchased one is given to girls in third world countries).

Volunteer at a Local Nursing Home

The elderly are often overlooked this time of year, but many are in desperate need of cheering up, especially those who do not have frequent visitors. Rules vary by location, but a trip to a local nursing home could bring a smile to many.

Donate Non-perishables, Blankets, Toiletries, Socks, and Coats to a Local Homeless Shelter

Local homeless shelters are always in need of basic necessities such as canned food, toilet paper, paper towels, and soap. With the winter season upon us, thick socks and coats are literally life savers. Just recently, I donated bagged lunches to the homeless shelter near me and it was both inexpensive and easy.

Spend Time with Shelter Animals and Donate Old (but clean) Blankets and Towels

Animal shelters are always in need of blankets and towels among other items that vary by location. Spending time with shelter animals will not only boost their morale but yours as well. And... if you are looking to adopt this Christmas, PetFinder is a wonderful place to find local rescue or shelter animals who are waiting for their perfect home.