Dove #ShowUs photography campaign by women and for women

#ShowUs A Different Version Of Beauty, I'm Getting Sick Of The Stereotypes

Dove is at it again with a campaign to #ShowUs what true beauty looks like.

1472

As a public relations and advertising graduate, I'm always on the lookout for new campaigns and advertising material that companies roll out. I'm especially drawn to campaigns that are timely and reflect on current pop culture trends, those that address a need, and those that question society and our current ideas and behaviors. Whether it's incorporating the top song into an ad or using a newly-coined catchphrase, to addressing climate and poverty issues, to questioning current advertising trends, there is no shortage of important public relations campaigns. Many of the most effective campaigns, though, come from companies that address issues in their given industry or issues that affect their target audience.

Dove is the leading company to use marketing and advertising to advocate on behalf of its customer base. To me, this is what the advertising and public relations industry is all about.

No newcomer to the world of using advertising and marketing to better the lives of women and society as a whole, beauty company Dove is spearheading yet another campaign called Project #ShowUs.

Since its founding, Dove has focused on its principles of beauty, self-confidence and self-appreciation to deliver, time and time again, campaigns that question the advertising industry. Its most well-known campaign, Dove Real Beauty, asks why there is a need to alter women's looks in advertising rather than celebrate a woman's true form and beauty for who and what she is as a human. This campaign has informed their brand voice and helped catapult many other campaigns with similar goals. Now, Dove is questioning why there is a lack of representation of women in advertising and media.

#ShowUs aims to show not only the public but media and advertising companies, that there is a different standard for beauty waiting to be accepted and represented. Many women grow up never seeing themselves on TV, in magazines or on billboards. #ShowUs is a collaboration between Dove, Getty Images and GirlGaze, an organization promoting female GenZ photographers and directors. So far, the campaign has gathered talent from over 39 countries and features over 5,000 images created by a 100% female base. All of these images focus on a simple goal: capturing breathtaking images of real women from real walks of life who know what true representation and inclusivity and diversity look like. Dove knew something had to be done when a survey revealed over 70% of women don't feel represented by the everyday media and over 90% of stock photography is the work of a man.

Here are a few of the showcased images.

Diverse imagery is needed in the media. Dr. Rebecca Swift, the senior director of Creative Insights at Getty Images realized she was "the person that has the power to make the change." As the only female senior creative director at a stock media agency, Swift is using her power to "change the status quo" and call our stereotypes and lack of representation into question.

I hope this campaign brings real change to the world of advertising and media. For too long we have accepted a standardized version of beauty but at no time have we questioned its existence. It's time we did that, and if we need a beauty company to help us realize that, then that's where we've come to and it's time we improve upon ourselves.

I do also hope that this campaign inspires women. I hope it inspires the woman with the dusty camera on her bookshelf to go out and make art. I hope it inspires the woman who has faced adversity and come out on the other side of it, better and stronger. I hope it inspires the woman who has a story to share but doesn't feel like she has the voice.

I hope Dove will #ShowUs the way.