Should The ACC Take Action Against Grayson Allen?

Will a punishment from the ACC break Allen's tripping trend?

18
Heavens! / Vine

After a game against Elon University, Coach K found himself suspending his star player. During the game, Grayson Allen was involved in an incident in which Elon's Steven Santa Ana was tripped. In the heat of the moment, Allen was defending Santa Ana and stuck his right foot out when the Elon guard went up for the shot. Once, Allen got wind that he had received a technical foul, hysteria broke out on the bench. Allen's emotions and frustrations showed through as he threw a tantrum.

Although, one could argue that the emotions were running high between the opposing players to make this outbreak occur, but it is not the first time that this had happened. Within the past year, two other tripping controversies have surfaced against Florida State and Louisville. In fact, Allen was awarded a flagrant, or intentional, foul when tripping his Louisville opponent.

Coach K felt as if Grayson's behavior was unacceptable and was in need of reprimanding. The Duke junior has been suspended indefinitely to allow the star to reflect on his actions.

Although Duke University has taken action against Allen's unsportsmanlike conduct, should the ACC punish him as well? Within the AtlanticCoast Conference's mission statement, the organization prides itself on core values like sportsmen ship. The ACC has announced for a public reprimand to take place for Allen, though the office commission has not taken charge.

Unsportsmanlike punishment is rase within the ACC, though it is not unheard of. In 2002, NC State forward, Julius Hodge, was suspended for a game after striking an opponent in the head. Following Grayson Allen's pattern of deliberately tripping his opposition, the ACC can see that this was not a random act, but just one of many.

Other college conferences, such as Pac-12, have tightened their grasp on unsportsmanlike actions. Jarmal Reis, Oregon forward, was suspended last season for tripping an official.

Personally, I feel as if the ACC should take action against the Duke star. He has tripped opposing players three times in the past year and is beginning to make it into a trend. In order to send a message to the player that his actions will not be tolerated, the ACC must put their foot down. By allowing Grayson Allen to continue on, he will get a feeling dominance and place his actions and himself on a pedestal, above the rest. The ACC must maintain order to keep the game we love unblemished.