Why You Should Take The Dive Into Greek Life

Just take the dive. You won't regret it.

17
Emily Little

When I started my freshman year of college, Greek life wasn't even on my radar. I was focused on school, skating, and just trying to keep my head above the water. I signed up for Sorority Recruitment because of my friends, thinking I would back out of it at the last minute because I hated it. However, I ran home to my sisters on Bid Day almost a year ago, and I haven't looked back since.

Going Greek was one of the best decisions I made in college.

Here's the thing about rushing a sorority or fraternity: you literally have nothing to lose. Just try it.

If you realize that Greek life isn't for you, that's fine. At least you put yourself out there. Recruitment is also a great way to get to know more people, especially if you are a freshman. This will help you get more acclimated to your campus, trust me.

I know there's the stereotype of Greek organizations that we pay for our friends and all we do is party. That's not true.

While being a member of Greek life isn't cheap, you get so much more than an instant group of friends. You get another home that will always be there for you no matter what.

You get sisters or brothers who will listen to you, even if you're just ranting about the season finale of "Riverdale". Partying isn't the focus of Greek life. It's about community and philanthropy and coming together to form a great organization.

Sometimes the philanthropy side of Greek life gets downplayed, which I think should be recognized more. At Adrian College, we are constantly supporting every Greek organization's events to help their charities in any way we can.

The money we raise goes to organizations like Make A Wish, the Alpha Phi Foundation for women's heart health, Girls on the Run, and many more. Most Greek organizations also have a volunteer hour requirement, which helps young men and women get involved with their community.

You will meet some of the greatest people in your life in your sorority or fraternity. You will make bonds that will last a lifetime. You will laugh together, cry together, and just plain be silly together. You will be loved, I promise.

If you're on the fence about rushing Greek life at your campus, just do it. Stop hesitating. If you're nervous about recruitment, don't be. Don't worry about not finding the perfect home for you. When you've found your sisters or brothers, you'll know.