Truths Every Short-Haired Girl Knows

Truths Every Short-Haired Girl Knows

"No, not all of us are gay...I mean, I'm half gay, but that's besides the point."

215

Sitting in the salon chair and waiting for the massive scissors to chop off what feels like 50 pounds from the top of your head was incredibly nerve-wracking the first time around. If you're like me, you may have come from a smaller conservative town where literally not a single girl at the high school of 1,000 students had their hair cut above their shoulders. Maybe it was because everyone just wanted to fit into the same mold of black yoga pants and long highlighted hair; maybe it was because they were afraid they couldn't pull it off; maybe it was because fashion was never actually destined to reach that tiny corner of the state. Whatever the reason, you were either on Tumblr looking at incredibly attractive women or you got gum in your hair, because then you made the decision to get it all chopped off.

One of the most common misconceptions surrounding a girl getting her hair cut short is "oh, something must be going on behind the scenes" -- this can be any number of reasons, including depression, family problems, insecurity, or being in the closet (gasp). The truth is that while some of these may be correct...they most likely are not the driving force behind the haircut. Have you seen these beautiful people online?

They're GORGEOUS. It's likely that an individual getting their hair cut short is simply trying to get a little bit closer to the ideal human being. Short hair can frame the face more flatteringly, brings attention to wonderful facial details that would otherwise be hidden, lengthens your neck -- I could go on.

Not only that, but short hair is STUPIDLY CONVENIENT. You probably hear that all the time, but it's true. It dries in 15 minutes, you barely have to style it (if it's a good day), you don't have to worry about hair clips or bands or ties, it keeps you cool in the summer (literally and figuratively) -- again, I COULD go on.

Girls with short hair aren't explicitly discriminated against, but believe me when I say we can feel your eyes on the back of our necks. You may think you're sneaky, but we know that someone is most likely surprised to see a young woman with short hair. In California it's the norm, but here….you're literally more likely to find a four leafed clover (four leafed clovers are 1 in 10,000 while young women with short hair in CT sure feels like 1 in 1,000,000).

Having short hair can feel a bit lonely because you're making a conscious decision to separate yourself from societal norms. People will comment that it was a "brave choice," you may get stalked by short-hair fetishists on dating apps, and at times, you aren't taken as seriously as you would have hoped. Remember that your hair is your hair and you can do what you want with it, everyone else be damned.

If you're going back and forth on getting that pixie cut you've been dying for, then please just get it -- it's a change you might very well need, and you won't regret it, I promise.