Why 'Sex In The City' Is Great, But We're Better

Sometimes it pays to not be a fictional TV character.

14
PlayBuzz

Have you ever seen Sex and the City? It’s a really great show. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend you watch it right now (it’s free on Amazon Prime).

Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. They are the level of fabulous that I, and most people I know, aspire to attain at some point. Four women, all beautiful, living their bada** lives in Manhattan, the city that never sleeps (probably because there are so many sirens all the time).

As I sit in this WholeFoods in DC, I can’t help but feel like Carrie. I’m narrating in my head what’s going on and I’m typing feverishly while glancing at the countless people walking by. I even have an iced coffee, black, that we all know I’m not going to drink more than a few sips of because there’s nothing fattening in it. What a journalist, right?

But despite these feelings of faux Carrie-ness, I realize I’ll never quite achieve her level of fabulous. Try as I might, and trust me, I’ve tried hard, I know being like a TV character is impossible. So why do so many of us attempt to emulate fictional people, be it Carrie or otherwise? Probably because:

1. They have a great friend group.

2. They live in fabulous apartments.

3. They have hot bods seemingly without any sort of effort.

4. Their social calendars are rich and diverse.

5. Their boyfriends are rich and diverse *cue the sexy lip bite*

6. They’re passionate about their jobs, and they get paid well.

7. And they look good no matter what.

But despite all of these things, we really should stop wanting to be them. Honestly, it’s just a symptom of insecurity that we all face. These women are all gorgeous and have been hand picked by casting directors to play roles written in our dreams. But we should recognize that our lives are pretty great too because:

1. We have amazing friends.

Whether you just have a few good gal pals, a large and diverse group or just your mom, chances are there is someone in your life who brings a smile to your face, supports your craziest of ideas and helps you pick out an outfit for that dreaded blind date.

2. We have a place to sleep at night.

I may not live in an apartment that looks anything like Carrie’s or Mr. Big’s or even the "Friends,’" but I do know that I always have a warm, dry place to sleep.

3. We can at all he crap we want.

This is one of those “not being on TV” perks that I savor every. Single. God-lovin’. Day. Am I right? Well, I'm not wrong.

4. We get to sleep all day if we want.

No social calendar=no problem. I’d rather be in my pajamas all day watching Netflix anyway.

5. We have people in our lives that love us.

Whether it’s the afore-mentioned group of friends, your family, your 12 cats or just yourself; there’s someone in this world who is rooting for you. Appreciate them for all they are!

6. Some of us have jobs.

Some of us hate them. Some of us excel at them. Either way, be sure to celebrate when that paycheck hits the Direct Deposit on Friday and the weekend can truly begin.

7. When we have good hair days, it's like a little slice of heaven.

If nothing else on this list convinced you that it sometimes rocks to not be on TV, this one should. The fictional characters we all love will never know the unexpected satisfaction of actually looking good for a fleeting period of time. That is the true win here.

So, if you find yourself feeling a little blue, think about all the good things in life. I know that I try my best to. But at the same time I know for a fact that I will relish every moment of life where I do feel like Carrie. And if we’re being completely real: I’ll probably continue to come sit in WholeFoods not drinking this coffee (which yes, an hour later is still sitting at my side) and pretend that there’s a camera crew behind me and an audience that is listening to the brilliant commentary in my head. As long as it’s in moderation, right? Just enjoy life and love what you’ve got and be like Samantha: