Food Service Workers Are Losing Their Hazard Pay
Currently

Food Service Workers Are Losing Their Hazard Pay, So Please, Tip Them As Much As You Can

Each worker put themselves at a greater risk to come to work to make sure Americans had access to things they could not survive without.

694

As coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions lift in many states across the country, Americans are attempting to get back to their normal lives they led before the pandemic hit.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a lead member of Trump's coronavirus task force, has warned against the reopening of states too soon, but President Donald Trump said these claims were "unacceptable."

While Americans struggle with the pandemic that has a very real potential to hit us with a dire second wave, and which experts believe may never disappear completely, grocery stores like Whole Foods, coffee chains like Starbucks, and even Amazon warehouses, are all rolling back "hazard pay" for their employees.

All of these workers were deemed as "essential workers." Because of that classification, many places upped their pay to accommodate for their work in a time of national crisis. But now, as states reopen, these workers are losing that extra pay from their places of work.

Each worker put themselves at a greater risk to come to work to make sure Americans had access to things they could not survive without. And even though they put their lives on the line, these mega-corporations are clearly more interested in turning a profit than they are in supporting the workers who supported them.

They will continue to put themselves at greater levels of risk as the virus is still infecting and killing people and might hit us with a second wave. So, it's essential we do anything we can to help protect and support these workers. And for people who are delivering your food, groceries, and your Amazon quarantine shopping, it's so essential to tip them as much as you can — now more than ever.