5 Self-Care Practices That Need To Be In Your Routine

Lately it has really hit me that self-care is vital to having healthy and productive days. As college students, there are often some pretty unhealthy practices we engage in. Staying out late, studying through the night, eating out too much, not sleeping... the list goes on and on. Not that we should deprive ourselves of the typical college experience, but we should remember to prioritize our well-being. College as taught me a lot of things, but primarily that life is all about balance. Balancing time, habits, schedules, etc... it's all about balance!! Below you will find some simple and easy things to incorporate into your daily routine. They may seem insignificant and not worth prioritizing, but as someone who was recently in an academic, health, and motivation slump, I promise these are game changers

Drink more water 

Sorry I had to include it- I know you have probably heard this time and time again, but it is SO valid. Drinking more water has helped me curve my cravings, eat smaller portions, feel less bloated, and has helped my skin. Who knew the power of ice water?!

Write to-do lists

This was a game changer for me. I use the sticky note feature on my computer to make a list each morning. I make a separate list for school, my sorority position, and random life things. Even if certain things are insignificant, there's something so satisfying about crossing things off the list- it's all about small victories!

Keep up With skincare routine

Even on the nights when you don't get home until 2am, take off your makeup and wash your face. You will feel so much better after doing it and your skin will thank you. I mean think about it- your skin wants and needs to be taken care of, so when it isn't it is definitely going to fight back

Pick out your outfit the night before 

As silly as this may seem, it could be 15-20 minutes of extra sleep. It is one less thing you have to do in the morning and guarantees you won't have the typical, "I have nothing to wear" dilemma.

Also a side note- I have found that when I set out clothes for the gym the night before, I am more likely to get up and actually go- try it!

Meal Prep

whether it be setting out snacks the night before, cooking dinners for the weeks, or breakfast for the morning, meal prepping can do no harm. i have found that it helps keep me on track to eat decently because who wants to see their groceries that they spent their own money own go to waste?

I try to make overnight oats each night before bed to have to eat in the morning- I find that I am more productive when I eat breakfast, but would rather sleep than cook in the mornings therefore this has been a life saver for me